Engineering Manager - Trading
What you can expect to work on in this role
Trading expertise is at the core of the Betterment platform. On a busy day, we need to securely buy and sell millions of dollars in securities. Every transaction must flow through a complicated series of risk checks, tax optimizations, drift calculations, and liquidity scenarios to ensure the best possible net returns for our customers. We use complex algorithmic and mathematical models, all of which need to execute flawlessly in production.
Furthermore, every ounce of efficiency and scale we pour into our trading systems translates into more value for Betterment’s customers. As the engineering manager for the trading team, you'll help balance the architectural vision of our trading platform with on-time delivery of new trading features and products for our customers.
You’ll guide the team to answer questions like
- How can we increase the efficiency of our systems by at least an order of magnitude to align with future scaling requirements?
- What code patterns and testing approaches do we need to guarantee that we never, ever fail in an unexpected or undefined way?
- How do we evolve the architecture and the orchestration and inspection of all of our trading processes to increase system transparency over time?
- How can we decompose long-term trading projects into small, releasable milestones that provide incremental value to our customers?
You'll be effective if you
- Enjoy hands-on recruiting, managing, mentoring, and inspiring a team of talented backend engineers
- Have expertise in Java, Spring, and Hibernate (or a similar server-side stack)
- Enjoy deep discussions about trading algorithms and mathematical optimization problems
- Have a passion for software engineering, and for creating what doesn’t yet exist
- Know how to make the tradeoffs required to ship without compromising quality
- Appreciate that investing in solid tests pays for itself several times over
- Value agility and pragmatism in software development
- Thrive in a very fast-paced startup environment
- Are excited to work at Betterment's headquarters in the Flatiron District of NYC
At Betterment, you’re going to
- Build things people love. Our goal is to delight our customers whenever possible. Sleek design, simple user experience, and access to smart decisions help us to achieve it
- Solve “impossible” problems. Take your ideas to the next level right away. We experiment, iterate, learn, and repeat
- Collaborate, with purpose. You’ll work in small groups with other talented thinkers and figure out how to make Betterment’s revolutionary software even better
- Gain trust through transparency. We believe in taking the guesswork out of investing. That means a consistent experience for our customers — you’ll build the tools to make it possible
- Create efficiency. Our software helps customers save time and money. We maintain it through clean code, pragmatic programming, and lean engineering
- Work with people who care. Half of our team is made up of engineers but we believe everyone at Betterment is an engineer with their own tools. We’re a group of talented professionals who pride ourselves on what we do. We’re smart, innovative, energetic, and lots of fun
Come join us
Back to top