Engineering Manager - Site Reliability
About the right team member
You have a wealth of experience to draw from, with a background in growing small teams to scale a rapidly growing organization. At work you are energized by making your team effective on a diverse set of tasks. Those tasks range from delivering tools and systems that make engineering more impactful to working with your directs on building out new skills that make them better at what they do. You are intrigued with how to use metrics to effectively drive change.
What you can expect to work on in this role
Work with engineering leads across the org to
- Implement lightweight processes that allow us to scale the organization while maintaining quality and speed of delivery
- Calibrate the balance in operational ownership between SREs and application owners
- Lead the collaborative creation of tooling that helps us achieve all of the above
Work primarily within our SRE team to
- Coach and mentor our engineers so they grow in their craft as it relates to creating and maintaining high quality software and supporting systems
- Improve our software delivery pipeline in a way that makes it both expedient and a tool to promote high quality
- Partner with our security engineers to maintain and continually improve our security tools and practices
- Identify gaps in the organization, relating to skills, tooling, processes, or resources, and devise plans to address them
Answer difficult questions like
- What is the best composition of tools to orchestrate application management and deployment?
- What practices best empower application engineers while maintaining reasonable infrastructure costs?
- What is the most important thing for the SRE team to tackle given competing priorities of similar size and importance?
- How can we incrementally improve local high availability and multi-region deployments while delivering on product and engineering needs?
You'll be effective if you
- Lean towards tackling large challenges by picking them apart, observing and experimenting, and gathering metrics that can help drive the team towards their goal
- Have ample experience with cloud providers (e.g. AWS, Google Cloud, DigitalOcean)
- Fully believe in the servant leadership concept, with an emphasis on ensuring the team is growing in their skills and executing as a team on common goals
- Understand the value of automation and configuration management
- Are actively growing your own skills in leadership and management, but have a strong technical background and can be hands-on as needed
Tools in your belt
Everything but the kitchen sink. But if you want a list… AWS, CentOS, Ansible, Puppet, Chef, Java, Gradle, Ruby, Rails, Python, Nginx, Tomcat, Puma, Kubernetes, MySQL, Postgresql, Consul, Docker, Jenkins, TravisCI
At Betterment, you’re going to…
- Measure all the things
- Secure all the things
- Automate all the things
Come join us
Meet Some of Betterment's Employees
Product Design Manager
Jaime uses consumer feedback in order to build the automated financial planning products that empower Betterment's customers to take control of their financial futures.
Back to top