Director of Operations - Betterment for Business
About the right team member:
You are a true operator. You thrive on scaling businesses through rapid growth stages and know how to do it efficiently. Your entrepreneurial mindset motivates you to deeply understand the business, the customer it serves, and the competitive landscape. You are in it to win it, and you know that the best way to achieve that is through rigorous prioritization, a passion for understanding data and measurement, and using it to drive the business strategy. You lead with openness, trust, and a strong focus on people development. You rapidly build rapport with new people and teams and you are respected by peers as a strong and honest partner. You have extensive knowledge and experience in the 401(k) industry and are passionate about building a business that will change the space forever.
At Betterment you will get to:
- Oversee and be accountable for the operations of the Betterment for Business line. The leaders of the Business Success and New Business teams will report directly into this role.
- Work with these teams to define the vision and goals for their functions. Manage and balance the priorities of each of these functions, ensuring they are correctly resourced to achieve business goals. Lead by supporting with a focus on people development, transparency and empowerment.
- Streamline our operations as we prepare to scale, identifying and acting on opportunities to become a more efficient business as we continue to evolve our product offering.
- Deeply understand our customer, the competitive landscape, and our opportunity in the space at any given time and relentlessly prioritize to ensure the business is always fulfilling its potential.
- Join a cross-functional leadership team comprising product, engineering, marketing, business success and new business leadership. This team is tasked with driving our business strategy, owning the P&L of the business, and overseeing the product roadmap and is accountable for setting and reaching targets, and for the ultimate success of the business.
- Serve as a subject matter expert for the 401(k) world. Leverage industry experience to help build a best-in-class 401(k) business that is core to Betterment’s overall strategy.
- Keep abreast of industry trends and regulatory matters, partnering closely with our legal and compliance teams.
- Foster a culture of data-driven decision-making. Partner closely with our Analytics and FP&A teams to model our strategy, develop business metrics, and measure our efforts.
- Build strong relationships with cross-functional partners across the Betterment organization and serve as a point person for senior leadership on the operations of the business.
You will be effective if you have:
- 5+ years of experience in the 401(k) industry in an operational or product-focused role.
- 10+ years of operating and consumer-facing experience, overseeing sales, account management, or customer support.
- Experience building and leading high-performing teams, with proven ability to attract, develop and inspire top talent.
- An extensive track record of effectively scaling business operations efficiently to meet goals for rapid growth.
- Demonstrated success at partnering, prioritizing and balancing needs cross-functionally.
- The ability to lead and influence partners and teams that do not directly report into you.
- A passion for data-driven decision making and comfort with large and often ambiguous data sets.
- Demonstrated success as a values-based leader who can build and maintain a culture of empowerment, ownership and accountability that motivates people to do the best work of their lives.
Betterment is the largest independent online financial advisor with more than $10 billion in assets under management. The service is designed to help increase customers’ long-term returns and lower taxes for retirement planning, building wealth, and other financial goals. Betterment takes advanced investment strategies and uses technology to deliver them to more than 270,000 customers across its three business lines: direct-to-consumer, Betterment for Advisors, and Betterment for Business. Learn more.
Come join us!
Meet Some of Betterment's Employees
Lead Software Engineer
Cyrus runs Betterment's Financial Planning Team. He's responsible for building delightful customer experiences that help users make smart and profitable financial investments.
Back to top