Senior Data Scientist
- New York, NY
Better is redefining homeownership and making it simpler, faster—and most importantly—more accessible for everyone. We leverage technology and expertise to find ways that we can make the homebuying journey more approachable and understandable.
- Right now we’re funding over $1.5 billion in home loans per month
- We’ve funded over $14 billion in loans and $3.5 billion in insurance
- We ranked #11 on Fortune’s Best Places to Work in Financial Services 2020
- Our Founder and CEO was named in Comparably's Top 25 CEOs for Diversity
- We were listed to Forbes’ FinTech 50 2020
- And #15 on the 2020 CNBC Disruptor 50
- We’ve secured over $254 million from our investors to date
Our company is made up of driven, passionate people who bring their unique backgrounds and perspectives to everything we do and we are committed to fostering diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion. We see the perspectives that each person brings and a diverse workforce as essential for individual and collective success. We believe it’s important to foster a company culture that encourages curiosity and passion—from employee resource groups and learning opportunities to team outings and community outreach.
A Better opportunity:
Help us hack a thirteen trillion dollar industry by building a product that will allow more people than the status quo to own a home and build wealth rather than rent for life. Our tech team is small, and you will be a big part of defining the technical direction and culture. We encourage proposals for projects off the beaten path, experimentation with different frameworks and libraries, and doing as you see fit to solve problems. We also offer above-market compensation and equity, as well as full benefits.
Some projects you could be working on:
- Work extremely closely with our product team to understand user behavior and come up with product ideas
- Present conclusions to the executive team that can impact the strategic direction of the company
- Build a lead scoring model to help our customer support team prioritize
- Model the time-lag of conversions using fun math like Gamma distributions
- Design experiments to understand causal impact
- Build web scrapers to track price data for competitors
- Build scalable infrastructure to deploy machine learning models and serve predictions
Who you are:
- You have at least 4 years experience with data analysis, statistics, and machine learning
- You have a few years experience with Python and SQL
- You have experience working with open-ended questions and have a track record of turning fuzzy problems into actionable data
- You are business-driven, and care about getting to the bottom of how to make a startup successful
- M.S. or Ph.D. degree in a quantitative field is a plus (Statistics, Economics, Operations Research, Computer Science, Physics, Mathematics)
- We do continuous deployment and we ship code 50-100 times every day
- The data stack is all in Python 3.7
- We use TypeScript and Python for services
- Redshift for our data warehouse, Postgres for the production databases
- Kubernetes, for deployment and devops
- AWS for infrastructure, leveraging EC2, S3, Redshift, CloudFront, Route53, and much more
- The tech team is currently 100+ engineers but growing quickly
- The data team is 20 people but with the plan to grow it to 35 by the end of this year
- Erik Bernhardsson (CTO) used to run the data team and the music recommendation team at Spotify. He is the open source author of a few popular projects like Annoy and Luigi and writes a blog about (mostly) data
The Better mission is rooted in values that drive us.
- We do what’s in the best interest of the consumer, not ourselves
- We have growth mindsets, not fixed ones
- We believe that success lies in execution, not credentials
- We act like owners, not just employees
- We work to find answers on our own, not wait for them to be given to us
- We optimize for mission, not ego
Our mission speaks for itself—we continue to outpace the industry at every turn. We’ve recently joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank, and our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, Ally Bank, and others have invested in our vision for what homeownership can be.
Better is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, family or parental status, disability, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. All employment decisions at Better are based on a person’s merit, business needs, and role requirements.
Back to top