Manager, Regulatory Strategy & Operations
- New York, NY
Better is redefining homeownership and making it simpler, faster—and most importantly—more accessible for everyone. We leverage technology and expertise to find ways that we can make the homebuying journey more approachable and understandable.
- Right now we’re funding over $2 billion in home loans per month
- We’ve funded over $14 billion in loans and $3.5 billion in insurance
- We ranked #1 in the U.S. on LinkedIn's Top Startups 2020
- We ranked #11 on Fortune’s Best Places to Work in Financial Services 2020
- Our Founder and CEO was named in Comparably's Top 25 CEOs for Diversity
- We were listed to Forbes’ FinTech 50 2020
- And #15 on the 2020 CNBC Disruptor 50
- We’ve secured over $254 million from our investors to date
Our company is made up of driven, passionate people who bring their unique backgrounds and perspectives to everything we do and we are committed to fostering diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion. We see the perspectives that each person brings and a diverse workforce as essential for individual and collective success. We believe it’s important to foster a company culture that encourages curiosity and passion—from employee resource groups and learning opportunities to team outings and community outreach.
A Better opportunity:
Our goal is to give every customer a flawless, end to end homeownership experience, unlike any other. As our company continues to experience rapid growth, our Legal & Compliance team is instrumental in the development of regulatory strategy, including developing internal company analyses of regulatory trends, and product compliance with state and federal banking law + statutes.
For regulatory oversight, you will work collaboratively with internal partners, and develop relationships with regulators, to mediate and advocate for adoption of administrative and/or banking rules that benefit home buyers and consumers.
Responsibilities will include:
- Assist Regulatory Strategy Pillar Head in presenting mortgage origination compliance requirements and offer origination compliance mentorship to other teams including Partnerships, Product, Marketing & Mortgage Operations.
- Work cross-functionally, prepares examination and investigation materials, in addition to assisting with ad hoc Regulatory Strategy special projects.
- Provide excellent service and support to internal consumers, such as the Operations, Product, and Data Engineering, in preparing SME-specific responses to regulatory requests, both in-person (verbally) and in writing.
- Draft, socialize and publish regulatory monitoring and compliance testing reports to business partners, senior management, and executive management.
- Maintain accurate and detailed records of all regulatory correspondence.
- Develop a solid understanding of federal and state compliance laws and regulations, including a proven track record to apply these requirements to business practices and systems. TILA, RESPA, TRID, TRID 2.0, HMDA, ECOA, BSA/AML, GLBA, ATR/QM, etc.
- Supervise and detail Better’s regulatory compliance obligations in highly supervised, sophisticated markets.
Bonus Points For:
- Prior experience working with SQL, R/Python, and/or Tableau.
- Prior experience in the FinTech and/or residential mortgage lending industry.
- Years of experience in a strategic operational and/or consultant role, preferably within consumer lending and/or a highly-regulated industry or equivalent military experience.
- Ability to balance multiple tasks simultaneously, prioritize, coordinate information.
- A high degree of professional integrity, maturity, ability to exercise appropriate discretion and maintain confidential data and information.
- Highly structured problem solver with the ability to methodically break down sophisticated issues
- Strong bias-to-action, as well as a strong sense of practicality and efficiency
- Highly adaptable, and able to thrive in ambiguous or uncertain environments
- Strong quantitative background in data analysis and modeling required (SQL/Tableau is helpful)
- Strong communication and relationship-building skills.
The Better mission is rooted in values that drive us.
- We do what’s in the best interest of the consumer, not ourselves
- We have growth mindsets, not fixed ones
- We believe that success lies in execution, not credentials
- We act like owners, not just employees
- We work to find answers on our own, not wait for them to be given to us
- We optimize for mission, not ego
Our mission speaks for itself—we continue to outpace the industry at every turn. We’ve recently joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank, and our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, Ally Bank, and others have invested in our vision for what homeownership can be.
Better is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, family or parental status, disability, military or veteran status, age, or any other basis protected by law. All employment decisions at Better are based on a person’s merit, business needs, and role requirements.
Depending on your location, the California Consumer Privacy Act or other laws may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. For further information on how we collect data of job applicants, please click here. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.
Back to top