- Oakland, CA
Better is redefining homeownership and making it simpler, faster—and most importantly—more accessible for everyone. We leverage technology and expertise to find ways that we can make the homebuying journey more approachable and understandable.
- Right now we’re funding over $3 billion in home loans per month
- We’ve funded over $35 billion in loans and $3.5 billion in insurance
- We ranked #1 in the U.S. on LinkedIn's Top Startups 2020
- We ranked #11 on Fortune’s Best Places to Work in Financial Services 2020
- Our Founder and CEO was named in Comparably's Top 25 CEOs for Diversity
- We were listed to Forbes’ FinTech 50 2020
- And #15 on the 2020 CNBC Disruptor 50
- We’ve secured over $254 million from our investors to date
Our company is made up of driven, passionate people who bring their unique backgrounds and perspectives to everything we do and we are committed to fostering diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion. We see the perspectives that each person brings and a diverse workforce as essential for individual and collective success. We believe it’s important to foster a company culture that encourages curiosity and passion—from employee resource groups and learning opportunities to team outings and community outreach.
A Better opportunity:
Beyond producing high quality loans, our goal is to build a product that will ultimately reduce the cost of homeownership in America. With offices in New York, California, Charlotte, and Gurgaon, we are rapidly growing in order to deliver a delightful borrower experience through a combination of technology and people. In joining our team, you will have a unique opportunity to join a fast-growing team and you will play a meaningful role in delivering on the Better mission.
As a Processing Expert, you will focus on reviewing all collected documentation from the borrowers to ensure all vital information was included. Your responsibilities will include answering any emails and in-bound phone calls from borrowers, working through any discrepancies throughout a file, and collaborating with your cross-functional partners within the underwriting, appraisal and title teams. The mortgage loan process is a stressful time, but our processing team is here to make it easier for borrowers. We expect our employees to provide outstanding customer service and show empathy while working with borrowers.
Responsibilities will include:
- Engage with borrowers to understand their needs/questions
- Proactively manage a pipeline in a timely, accurate, and efficient manner, ensuring promptness in communicating with borrowers
- Request and manage organization of borrower loan documentation using our proprietary loan platform
- Facilitate and manage borrower transitions from each step in the processing of their loan.
- Work collaboratively with cross-functional teams in Operations (title, valuations, underwriting, closing) to close loans
- Strong communication, organization, and time management skills.
- Ability to troubleshoot and solve problems independently.
- Detail oriented with the ability to adapt with resiliency.
- Ability to maintain composure in a fast-paced environment.
- Approach work with compassion, humility and accountability.
- Collaborate with teams to constantly rethink and improve our processes and borrower experience
Bonus points for:
- Experience processing FNMA, FHLMC, FHA and Jumbo mortgages
- Knowledge of agency conventional underwriting product guidelines
Better is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, family or parental status, disability, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. All employment decisions at Better are based on a person’s merit, business needs, and role requirements.
The Better mission is rooted in values that drive us.
- We do what’s in the best interest of the consumer, not ourselves
- We have growth mindsets, not fixed ones
- We believe that success lies in execution, not credentials
- We act like owners, not just employees
- We work to find answers on our own, not wait for them to be given to us
- We optimize for mission, not ego
Our mission speaks for itself—we continue to outpace the industry at every turn. We’ve recently joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank, and our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, Ally Bank, and others have invested in our vision for what homeownership can be.
Better Benefits & Compensation
Better.com is committed to paying NYC HQ salary bands, for all employees, regardless of where they are located and does not adjust salaries based on cost of living location. Our total rewards package consists of base salary, yearly cash bonus, equity and benefits. Additional employment-related benefits include:
- A $500 stipend to set up the WFH office of your dreams
- Comprehensive healthcare, retirement, and voluntary benefits—including medical, dental, vision, savings accounts, 401k, and more
- Personalized care and tools for realizing your mental health and wellness goals
- Robust holistic wellbeing offerings where you can experience unlimited access to virtual fitness, meditation, yoga, cooking classes, homeschooling preparedness, physical therapy, and more
- Unlimited time off (with manager approval)
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave after only 90 days of employment, and 20 weeks after 24 months of service
- Inclusive fertility benefits for you or your eligible dependents, regardless of participation in a Better medical plan
Better is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, family or parental status, disability, military or veteran status, age, or any other basis protected by law. All employment decisions at Better are based on a person’s merit, business needs, and role requirements.
Depending on your location, the California Consumer Privacy Act or other laws may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. For further information on how we collect data of job applicants, please click here. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.
Back to top