Customer Operations Team Lead
- New York, NY
Better is redefining homeownership and making it simpler, faster—and most importantly—more accessible for everyone. We leverage technology and expertise to find ways that we can make the homebuying journey more approachable and understandable.
- Right now we’re funding over $3 billion in home loans per month
- We’ve funded over $14 billion in loans and $3.5 billion in insurance
- We ranked #1 in the U.S. on LinkedIn's Top Startups 2020
- We ranked #11 on Fortune’s Best Places to Work in Financial Services 2020
- Our Founder and CEO was named in Comparably's Top 25 CEOs for Diversity
- We were listed to Forbes’ FinTech 50 2020
- And #15 on the 2020 CNBC Disruptor 50
- We’ve secured over $254 million from our investors to date
Our company is made up of driven, passionate people who bring their unique backgrounds and perspectives to everything we do and we are committed to fostering diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion. We see the perspectives that each person brings and a diverse workforce as essential for individual and collective success. We believe it’s important to foster a company culture that encourages curiosity and passion—from employee resource groups and learning opportunities to team outings and community outreach.
A Better opportunity:
Better is looking for a Team Lead to join our Processing team in New York. Processing at Better is a multifaceted function - both consumer-facing and operationally-driven. Our Processors serve as point of contacts to our borrowers, ensuring a best-in-class customer experience. They also are responsible for effectively managing customer operations and loan logistics to ensure that mortgage processing is moving forward.
As a Team Lead on our Processing team, you will operate in a hybrid role. You will be responsible for managing an individual pipeline of customers/loans as well as for managing, coaching and developing a team of junior processors. This is a great opportunity for someone who is looking to advance their career in leadership. Our ideal candidate is a highly-organized customer experience enthusiast with strong communication and problem solving skills; someone who is passionate about helping and leading others; who can think on their feet, adapt and maintain composure in a fast-paced environment.
Responsibilities will include:
- Manage, coach and develop a team of junior processors; provide qualitative and quantitative feedback to continuously support profressional development
- Manage daily cadence as our product continues to evolve; drive team objectives and KPIs throughout production cycles
- Manage a limited pipeline of loans; verify and analyze all necessary financial information and documentation; ensure that loan files contain all necessary credit and legal documents to satisfy underwriting conditions
- Serve as the first line of defense to diffuse customer escalations to management
- Support Processing Manager and Senior Processors with complex loan troubleshooting.
- Work effectively with cross-functional teams in Operations (title, valuations, underwriting, closing) to close loans
- 2-4+ years of experience in a customer-facing role within mortgage, financial services, insurance, banking or fintech. Previous direct mortgage experience is preferable, but is not required
- 1 year of leadership experience highly preferred
- Strong communication, organization, and time management skills
- Ability to troubleshoot and solve problems independently
- Ability to maintain composure in a fast-paced environment
- Knowledge of agency conventional, purchase, refinance, and jumbo underwriting product guidelines
- Familiarity with Desktop Underwriter (DU)
The Better mission is rooted in values that drive us.
- We do what’s in the best interest of the consumer, not ourselves
- We have growth mindsets, not fixed ones
- We believe that success lies in execution, not credentials
- We act like owners, not just employees
- We work to find answers on our own, not wait for them to be given to us
- We optimize for mission, not ego
Our mission speaks for itself—we continue to outpace the industry at every turn. We’ve recently joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank, and our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, Ally Bank, and others have invested in our vision for what homeownership can be.
Better Benefits & Compensation
Better.com is committed to paying NYC HQ salary bands, for all employees, regardless of where they are located and does not adjust salaries based on cost of living location. Our total rewards package consists of base salary, yearly cash bonus, equity and benefits. Additional employment-related benefits include:
- A $500 stipend to set up the WFH office of your dreams
- Comprehensive healthcare, retirement, and voluntary benefits—including medical, dental, vision, savings accounts, 401k, and more
- Personalized care and tools for realizing your mental health and wellness goals
- Robust holistic wellbeing offerings where you can experience unlimited access to virtual fitness, meditation, yoga, cooking classes, homeschooling preparedness, physical therapy, and more
- Unlimited time off (with manager approval)
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave after only 90 days of employment, and 20 weeks after 24 months of service
- Inclusive fertility benefits for you or your eligible dependents, regardless of participation in a Better medical plan
Better is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, family or parental status, disability, military or veteran status, age, or any other basis protected by law. All employment decisions at Better are based on a person’s merit, business needs, and role requirements.
Depending on your location, the California Consumer Privacy Act or other laws may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. For further information on how we collect data of job applicants, please click here. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.
Back to top