Remote Senior Mortgage Underwriter
Better is redefining homeownership and making it simpler, faster—and most importantly—more accessible for everyone. We leverage creative technology and innovation to make the homebuying journey more approachable and understandable. Here are some interesting facts to help you get to know Better:
- Right now we’re funding over $3 billion in home loans per month
- We’ve funded over $14 billion in loans and $3.5 billion in insurance
- We ranked #1 in the U.S. on LinkedIn's Top Startups 2020
- We ranked #11 on Fortune’s Best Places to Work in Financial Services 2020
- Our Founder and CEO was named in Comparably's Top 25 CEOs for Diversity
- We were listed to Forbes’ FinTech 50 2020
- And #15 on the 2020 CNBC Disruptor 50
- We’ve secured over $254 million from our investors to date
Our company is made up of driven, passionate people who bring their unique backgrounds and perspectives to everything we do. We are committed to fostering diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion. We encourage individual potential rather than years of experience. We see the value in each person’s perspective, and recognize their talents, regardless of what the market says. We believe it’s important to nurture a company culture that encourages curiosity and passion—from employee resource groups and learning opportunities to team outings and community outreach.
A Better opportunity: *Work From Home Opportunities*
Better is looking for a Mortgage Loan Underwriter to join our growing team! Using established underwriting guidelines, you will evaluate borrower financial and credit information in tandem with property valuations to inform lending decisions. Our underwriters work closely with all members of the production team throughout the process to bring loans to closing, without having to speak directly to the borrower. We are looking for Underwriters who think outside of the box. When looking at a file we want to make guidelines fit the borrower, not the borrowers fit the guidelines.
As an Underwriter at Better.com, you will be working with the only end to end digital platform in the mortgage industry. Our platform has allowed us to automate 80% of the mortgage process. What does this mean for Underwriters? This means you will spend less time working in a broken process and more time providing the best services for our borrowers.
Beyond producing high quality loans, our goal is to build a product that will ultimately reduce the cost of homeownership in America. With offices in New York, Oakland, Gurgaon, Charlotte and Orange County, we are quickly expanding in order to deliver a delightful borrower experience through a combination of technology and people.
Our employee’s experience is important to us which is why we have unlimited PTO and the ability for Underwriters to work from home as well as 100% remote positions.
Responsibilities will include:
- Underwrite and decision residential agency conforming, jumbo and FHA mortgage loans
- Verify and analyze all necessary financial information and documentation; ensure that loan files contain all necessary credit and legal documents
- Review appraisal reports to identify and resolve any discrepancies discovered within
- Perform thorough analysis of applicant's income and expense data, asset documentation, credit reports, and property valuations in order to affirm borrower qualifies for loan
- Calculate qualifying ratios, determine creditworthiness; provide risk opinions
- 5+ years of experience underwriting FNMA, FHLMC, and Non-Conforming mortgages a plus
- Expert knowledge of Desktop Underwriter (DU) & Loan Prospector/Loan Product Advisor (LP/LPA)
- Categorical understanding of the mortgage lending process
- Ability to carry out requisite loan calculations (DTI, LTV, etc.)
- Capable of preparing findings reports
- Ability to handle multiple files simultaneously
- Strong written and verbal communication
- Perform well in team environments
- The drive to build something new
- Management experience a plus
The Better mission is rooted in values that drive us.
- We do what’s in the best interest of the consumer, not ourselves
- We have growth mindsets, not fixed ones
- We believe that success lies in execution, not credentials
- We act like owners, not just employees
- We work to find answers on our own, not wait for them to be given to us
- We optimize for mission, not ego
Our mission speaks for itself—we continue to outpace the industry at every turn. We’ve joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank, and our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, Ally Bank, and others have invested in our vision for what homeownership can be.
Better Benefits & Compensation
Our total rewards package consists of base salary, equity, benefits, and opportunity for yearly cash bonus. Some of our benefits include:
- Comprehensive healthcare, retirement, and voluntary benefits. Think medical, dental, vision, savings accounts, 401k, and more.
- Personalized care and tools for realizing your mental health and wellness goals
- Robust wellbeing offerings that allow you unlimited access to virtual fitness, meditation, yoga, cooking classes, homeschooling preparedness, physical therapy, and more.
- Unlimited time off (with manager approval)
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave after 90 days of employment, and 20 weeks after 24 months of service.
- Inclusive fertility benefits for you or your eligible dependents, regardless of participation in a Better medical plan.
Better is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, family or parental status, disability, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. If you require further accommodations or have questions regarding accessibility of our roles, please reach out to email@example.com. All employment decisions at Better are based on a person’s merit, business needs, and role requirements.
Back to top