Best Made Company is based in New York City and dedicated to empowering the people with tools and information to get back outside and around the campfire. Founded in 2009, we are a thriving team relentlessly committed to the pursuit of our “campfire” mission and the design and manufacturing of superior quality goods. We pride ourselves on our hands-on knowledge of our product, and bestow our customers with unprecedented support. Our working environment is fast paced, supportive, and forward thinking, and a key trait in all team members is the desire for inspired work.
This Assistant Controller is responsible for leading the financial and operational accounting activities of Best Made. The position will ensure the accuracy and efficiency of the ongoing accounting process and the integrity of the monthly financial reporting of the brand. Along with these processes, the position is expected to represent the Accounting function when interacting with both internal and external business partners. The position will report directly to the Chief Financial Officer.
Re s p o n s i b i l i t i e s :
• Lead the monthly financial close process for Best Made – deliver accurate financial results, including comprehensive analysis of key expense and balance sheet items
• Oversee ongoing operational accounting activities: Accounts Payable, Banking & Cash Management, and Sales & Use Tax reporting and payments.
• Complete bank reconciliations at regular intervals.
• Own process of implementing and improving financial controls throughout the brand
• Evaluate current processes and tools to drive efficiencies and value- add enhancements
Co m p e t e n c i e s , “ You H a v e …” :
• Bachelor’s Degree in Finance, Accounting, or related field and 5+ years of business experience in accounting, finance, or related field, demonstrating increasing levels of responsibility.
• CPA required
• Demonstrate strong financial accounting, analytical and problem- solving skills; strong working knowledge of GAAP and understanding of internal controls to ensure compliance with Sarbanes-Oxley
• Strong interpersonal skills with demonstrated success in business partnering and ability to influence peers and senior management
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills with demonstrated presentation experience
Ability to handle multiple tasks and meet aggressive deadlines
• Demonstrated team-building skills, customer service experience, and problem resolution skills
• Demonstrated initiative, ability to drive and achieve results and goals with minimal direction
• Proven track record of implementing successful projects and related best practices, both technical and operational
• Proven ability to interpret and synthesize data into intelligent business decisions and to clearly communicate complex ideas
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with proven ability to interact with various management levels
• Detail oriented with strong organizational skills
See Inside the Office of Best Made Co
Best Made Co. brings superior-quality outdoor goods to its New York City shop and web store, empowering people to get out around the campfire. The company was started after founder Peter Buchanan-Smith saw a need for a better axe—not only as a lifeline to the wilderness, but as an inspiration for people to reconnect with their hands and nature. The brand has since expanded its offerings to include apparel, bags, tools, and home goods, and was named one of Ad Age's "Top Companies Creatives Will Give Up Their Freedom For."
Back to top