Best Made Company is based in New York City and dedicated to empowering the world with tools and information to get people back to where they belong: around a campfire.
The Best Made experience exists online at bestmadeco. com, at our shop and workshop space in New York’s Tribeca neighborhood, in the pages of our seasonal catalog “Camp X Home,” and on our far flung adventures around the world.
Founded in 2009, we are a thriving team relentlessly committed to the pursuit of our “campfire” mission, and the design and manufacturing of superior quality goods. We pride ourselves on our hands- on knowledge of our product, and bestow our customers with unprecedented support. Our working environment is fast paced, supportive, and forward thinking, and a key trait in all team members is the desire for inspired work.
We are a brand that inspires and enables customers to get outside and embark on a life of meaningful experiences. Our origins are firmly embedded in design, and — be it the layout of our catalog or the layout of our store — we seek to constantly deliver compelling, and thoughtful brand experiences. We love to make things. We don’t just create beautiful product, but we also create content that tells captivating stories of our product, and our people, in the worlds where they thrive. We are currently seeking exceptional candidates who can continue to help craft and tell this story.
The Art Director will create and design compelling content, while simultaneously applying the brand identity and ethos to product, and all retail channels. Your day could consist of editing an online photo essay, designing the labels for our next line of Fall outerwear, or conceptualizing a pending marketing strategy. At the end of the day these multifaceted projects will — above all — demand that you be a creative and vigilant champion of the brand, and of design. You will be reporting directly to our Founder & Chief Creative Officer, and working closely with other creative and operational staff, and external contributors.
• In collaboration with our Chief Creative Officer, lead the team responsible for brand concepts and design that will apply to content, product, retail channels, and all forms of marketing and educational materials.
• Ensure that the brand message is expressed in a clear, beautiful, consistent, and elegant manner.
• Create designs and generate content that address business, brand, market, and user requirements as they apply to every visual aspect of the company.
• Working closely with our marketing and product teams, and a roster of freelance contributors, art direct graphic design, photography, and illustration from begin- ning to end, ensuring solutions are creative, cohesive, on time, and on budget.
• Initiate and effectively execute design strategies, schedules, and budgets that are resourceful, proactive and deliver against ambitious business goals.
• Establish standards, procedures, and guidelines for identity across all product, media and content channels.
• Work with management and project management staff on pricing and contracts for design and branding projects.
• Someone with a vigilant eye for detail, a strong sense of design, a preexisting knowledge of the brand, and a clear vision for how you can apply yourself to this business.
• A gifted visual storyteller and content creator, someone who can connect dis- parate and counter intuitive dots, and communicate those in clear, concise, and compelling messages.
• A designer with a strong visual and typographic sensibility, and determined to advocate for good design and our brand values.
• Curious, and excited to constantly apply your talent to new and challenging design opportunities.
• Comfortable in an accelerated working environment, with ambiguous challenges that require an intuitive response, and disciplined and structured execution.
• 7 + years working as a graphic designer either in-house, at an agency, or a magazine / publisher / website.
• 2+ years managing a team of designers
• Bachelors and/or graduate degree in a design discipline
• Experience in leading the design of editorial and packaging projects
• Strong strategic, conceptual skills and a good knowledge of the digital landscape
• Strong project/time management and multitasking abilities
• Ability to work independently as well as in cross-functional groups
• Proficiency in InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop and other design software
• A love for that magical place where utility and style intersect.
Back to top