Software Engineer, Search
- San Francisco, CA
Over the next 10 years, biotech will fundamentally rewrite the way we live. Gene editing and cell therapy will dramatically change how we treat cancer and other major illnesses. Biofuels and biomaterials will transform the cars we drive, the clothes we wear, and the makeup of everyday objects. Crop science and synthetic biology will produce sustainable and ethical food. Benchling’s mission is to accelerate the research that propels us towards this future, and magnify its impact, through modern software.
Every day, scientists around the world use Benchling in their efforts to solve humanity's most pressing problems. For these scientists, Benchling is the central technology they use to conduct their research.
Search is a foundational building block of the Benchling Platform — it’s a fundamental modality of user interaction in our applications, but also essential functionality underlying our API and Developer Platform. Discoverability of knowledge and assets is a huge benefit to research productivity in life sciences organizations.
Benchling was founded by a team of MIT graduates and has raised funding from Benchmark, Andreessen Horowitz, Thrive Capital, and Y Combinator. Our customers include pharmaceutical giants, leading biotechs, and the world's most renowned research institutes.
Benchling brings best-in-breed data infrastructure to the world's leading biotech companies. As a Search Engineer, you'll build the one of the most important systems that power Benchling's platform and applications. Ultimately, your work will be reflected in the agility, performance, reliability, and security of the Benchling platform.
We are looking for strong engineers with 5+ years of experience to join as a member of the larger Platform team and work alongside other infrastructure-focused peers. You'll collaborate with former Stripe, Google, and Facebook engineers to build a highly reliable, yet rapidly-evolving, backbone of our platform.
- Design, build, and maintain the next generation of Benchling’s search technology, and its integration into our application suite and platform
- Define, measure, and create automation for the key indicators of performance of Search functionally
- Design and implement the security and tenant isolation model for customer data in search systems
- Collaborate with other teams in Platform and Infrastructure
- Roll out new systems into production, and migrate from legacy systems to new implementations
- Have 5 or more years of experience as a software engineer, including experience with delivering Search functionality in the context of a modern, cloud-first software-as-a-service platform.
- Have experience with and understand how to effectively use and integrate popular open-source distributed search systems, such as ElasticSearch or Solr.
- Understand cloud computing and microservices architectures. Experience with major cloud platforms, especially AWS, is a plus.
- Write clear, well-tested code in Python, Java, Go, or Ruby.
- Have a bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or a related field.
Benchling welcomes everyone. We believe every member of our team enriches our diversity and inclusion by broadening our ways of problem-solving. Even if you don’t meet 100% of the qualifications for this job, we strongly encourage you to apply.
- Admit mistakes and shortcomings
- Deliver results
- Disagree and commit
- Obsess over customers
- Rely on work ethic
- Show empathy
- Recruit and develop the best
- Sweat the details
- Think and communicate clearly
- Unite around the mission
PERKS AND BENEFITS
- Work with a talented yet humble team
- Competitive compensation & equity package
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Monthly health & wellness stipend
- Weekly virtual social events, and annual company retreats
- *$1,000 work-from-home stipend
In following best practices and safety protocols, all Benchling employees are expected to work remotely until we are further advised that it is safe for employees to resume work in their respective office locations.
*To support remote work conditions, Benchling provides each employee a one-time stipend of $1,000 upon commencing employment, and additional discounted employee purchase plans for home-office equipment.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Back to top