Over the coming years, biotech will fundamentally rewrite the way we live. Gene editing and cell therapy are dramatically changing how we treat cancer and other major illnesses. Biofuels and biomaterials are transforming the cars we drive, the clothes we wear, and the makeup of everyday objects. Crop science and synthetic biology are producing sustainable and ethical food. Benchling’s mission is to accelerate the research that propels us towards this reality, and magnify its impact, through modern software.
Every day, scientists around the world use Benchling’s applications, platform, & analytics in their efforts to solve humanity’s most pressing problems. For these scientists, Benchling is the central technology they use to conduct their research. Our customers include pharmaceutical giants, leading biotechs, and the world’s most renowned research institutes.
Benchling’s suite of unified applications are mission critical in the day-to-day work of scientists, and we strive to ensure that the core functionality and workflows in the applications they depend on are always functional. As a Software Engineer on the Quality Engineering team, your focus will be on accelerating the development of automated end-to-end test suites to help protect that functionality. The automation you create will target modern web-based applications such as a digital Notebook, Molecular Biology, Registry, Inventory, Requests, Workflows, and Insights.
You’ll be embedded within the Quality Engineering scrum team and partner with application scrum teams to define suites of prioritized automated tests covering frontend UI or backend API functionality. You’ll implement the highest priority tests for new and existing functionality first, while helping the teams maintain their overall backlog of test automation across all priorities. You’ll parter with our Customer Success team to define the most critical customer workflows across our product and create automation to ensure those workflows always work in production.
Each application engineer is responsible for the quality and test coverage of the features they ship. Today, engineers create thorough unit test coverage and manually verify feature functionality in a staging environment before releasing to production. The team is working towards a model where every feature of a given complexity or risk will be shipped with an end-to-end test created by the engineer shipping the feature. You’ll work closely with engineers shipping new features to align on the overall suite of prioritized test automation and add additional coverage as a fast-follow to the test coverage developed during feature development and release.
If you are to graduate with your Bachelor's or Master's degree in class of 2021-2022, please consider applying to our Software Engineer, New Graduate position here.
WHAT YOU WILL WORK ON
- Review product requirements, technical plans, and explore existing product functionality to define test coverage
- Create end-to-end UI or API automated tests and help maintain a prioritized automation backlog
- Trace automated tests to functional requirements for the Validation Engineering team’s Operational Qualification
- Review and provide feedback for test automation code reviews from other quality and software engineers
- Utilize engineering and framework best practices to create reliable and maintainable test code
- Drive teams to increase test coverage and increase quality through test automation
- Work in an Agile engineering environment
- Passionate about protecting application quality by creating flake-free and well designed test automation
- Experience using and extending test frameworks built on the page object model for frontend automation
- 1+ years of total experience in Software Engineering
- Bachelor’s in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering or equivalent
- Apply for our Summer 2022 software engineering internship program here.
- For new grads, class of 2021-2022, who are seeking a full time position after graduation, please apply to our Software Engineer, New Graduate position here.
Benchling welcomes everyone. We believe every member of our team enriches our diversity and inclusion by broadening our ways of problem-solving for future challenges. Even if you don't meet 100% of the qualifications for this job, we strongly encourage you to apply.
- Admit mistakes and shortcomings
- Deliver results
- Disagree and commit
- Obsess over customers
- Rely on work ethic
- Show empathy
- Recruit and develop the best
- Sweat the details
- Think and communicate clearly
- Unite around the mission
PERKS AND BENEFITS
- Work with a talented yet humble team
- Competitive compensation & equity package
- Weekly virtual social events, and annual company retreats
- 401k, Medical, dental, and vision insurance (US Employees Only)
- Monthly health & wellness stipend (Currently US Employees Only)
- Yearly educational stipend (Currently US Employees Only)
- Flexible & Generous Vacation Policy: If you feel you need a break, you can talk directly with your manager to find coverage and support while you are out of the office. Need time off to vote? We've got you covered.
- Quarterly company-wide mental health days off
- Holiday Shut-down: company-wide holiday shut-down between Christmas Eve and New Years
- Major US and EMEA holidays observed
- To support remote work conditions during the COVID-19 pandemic, Benchling provides each employee a one-time stipend of $1,000(USD) upon commencing employment, and additional discounted employee purchase plans for home-office equipment.
In following best practices and safety protocols, all Benchling employees are expected to work remotely until we are further advised that it is safe for employees to resume work in their respective office locations.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.