Software Engineer, Machine Learning
- San Francisco, CA
Over the coming years, biotech will fundamentally rewrite the way we live. Gene editing and cell therapy are dramatically changing how we treat cancer and other major illnesses. Biofuels and biomaterials are transforming the cars we drive, the clothes we wear, and the makeup of everyday objects. Crop science and synthetic biology are producing sustainable and ethical food. Benchling’s mission is to accelerate the research that propels us towards this reality, and magnify its impact, through modern software.
Every day, scientists around the world use Benchling’s applications, platform, & analytics in their efforts to solve humanity’s most pressing problems. For these scientists, Benchling is the central technology they use to conduct their research. Our customers include pharmaceutical giants, leading biotechs, and the world’s most renowned research institutes.
As one of Benchling’s first Machine Learning (ML) engineers, you’ll join a rapidly growing, world-class engineering team, and help bootstrap ML capabilities for Benchling. You will enable use cases that range from scientific (predicting antibody efficacy from sequence efficacy, anomaly detection, recommending process development parameters based on historical study results), to operational (forecasting the speed and efficiency of various workflows and identifying predictors of success and failures, inventory optimization, demand forecasting), to user experience (search relevance, type-ahead search, recognizing text in scanned documents). You’ll serve as a key input and thought leader, and work closely with the product teams to deliver ML driven capabilities to our internal and external customers.
YOU MIGHT WORK ON
- Architect and build Benchling’s first Machine Learning applications, and be part of the team that incubates ML applications at Benchling
- Partner with applications teams to define the right interfaces, and help integrate ML models into the applications
- Identify and fill the gaps on the platform to enable ML applications at scale
- Drive build-vs-buy conversations for various components of the ML stack
- Monitor and tune ML models, and identify gaps in data and instrumentation needed for building the best ML models
- 8+ years of industry experience designing and building machine learning applications
- Strong communicator with both words and data - you understand what it takes to go from raw data to something a human understands
- Comfortable with complexity in the short term but can build towards simplicity in the long term
- Experience with machine learning techniques such as regression, classification, and clustering
- Experience with machine learning libraries such as scikit-learn, Spark ML Lib, TensorFlow, or others
- Comfortable with SQL and Python
- Pluses: Background in the life sciences domain
- Pluses: Experience with deep learning technologies
IF YOU ARE SEEKING A NEW GRAD POSITION / INTERNSHIP:
- We are hiring for summer interns in 2021. Please apply here.
- If you are graduating in the class of 2020-2021, please apply here.
Benchling welcomes everyone. We believe every member of our team enriches our diversity and inclusion by broadening our ways of problem-solving for future challenges. Even if you don't meet 100% of the qualifications for this job, we strongly encourage you to apply.
- Admit mistakes and shortcomings
- Deliver results
- Disagree and commit
- Obsess over customers
- Rely on work ethic
- Show empathy
- Recruit and develop the best
- Sweat the details
- Think and communicate clearly
- Unite around the mission
PERKS AND BENEFITS
- Work with a talented yet humble team
- Competitive compensation & equity package
- Quarterly mental health days
- Weekly virtual social events, and annual company retreats
- 401k, Medical, dental, and vision insurance (US Employees Only)
- Monthly health & wellness stipend (Currently US Employees Only)
- Yearly educational stipend (Currently US Employees Only)
- To support remote work conditions, Benchling provides each employee a one-time stipend of $1,000(USD) upon commencing employment, and additional discounted employee purchase plans for home-office equipment.
In following best practices and safety protocols, all Benchling employees are expected to work remotely until we are further advised that it is safe for employees to resume work in their respective office locations.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Back to top