Software Engineer, Applications Team
- San Francisco, CA
Our engineering team is comprised of the Applications Team, the Platform Team, and the Customer Engineering Team. The Applications Team is responsible for the product modules used directly by scientists to work with their data inside Benchling. This includes DNA editing tools, an electronic lab notebook, sample tracking, workflow design, and more.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
- Own projects end-to-end, from initial design, to prototype, to large-scale rollout.
- Design and implement backend models and API endpoints for complex scientific workflows.
- Design and implement rich frontend components and architecture. We build and operate one of the largest, richest React applications out there and power complex scientific analyses.
- Work closely with product managers, designers, marketing, and sales to ensure the right context is being shared.
- Help rapidly scale our product and team. As a member of the engineering team, you'll be an integral part of how we mature our tooling, best practices, engineering processes, and hiring.
- Have 3-5 years of experience in software engineering.
- Build software with a product-first approach. You ship code quickly and care about the real world impact of your code.
- Have strong abilities in problem solving and iterating on feedback.
- Enjoy ownership and building key pieces of product.
- Are interested in learning more about life science (prior knowledge is not required; desire to learn is a must).
YOU MIGHT WORK ON
Check out our engineering blog for some examples of past work. Here are some other examples of recent and future projects:
- Tools to simulate DNA assembly - computers can assist scientists by informing scientific decisions with complex calculations. Our bulk assembly tool allows scientists to simulate constructing hundreds of DNA constructs in parallel, visualizing the end result and highlighting potential issues.
- Chemistry tools - we have focused primarily on biology and biotech for the last 5 years, but are just starting new initiatives to expand our tools to support chemists as well. This will involve modeling complex chemical reactions within Benchling, and is a opportunity to see a new product grow from the ground up.
- Robot and machine integration - scientists are increasingly using automated hardware in the lab to perform measurements. By integrating Benchling with machines like liquid handlers, we are working towards a world where a scientist can perform a physical experiment entirely using software.
Benchling welcomes everyone. We believe every member of our team enriches our diversity and inclusion by broadening our ways of problem-solving. Even if you don’t meet 100% of the qualifications for this job, we strongly encourage you to apply.
- Admit mistakes and shortcomings
- Deliver results
- Disagree and commit
- Obsess over customers
- Rely on work ethic
- Show empathy
- Recruit and develop the best
- Sweat the details
- Think and communicate clearly
- Unite around the mission
PERKS AND BENEFITS
- Work with a talented yet humble team
- Competitive compensation & equity package
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Monthly health & wellness stipend
- Weekly virtual social events, and annual company retreats
- *$1,000 work-from-home stipend
In following best practices and safety protocols, all Benchling employees are expected to work remotely until we are further advised that it is safe for employees to resume work in their respective office locations.
*To support remote work conditions, Benchling provides each employee a one-time stipend of $1,000 upon commencing employment, and additional discounted employee purchase plans for home-office equipment.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Back to top