Product Designer, Platform & Design Systems
- San Francisco, CA
Over the next 10 years, biotech will fundamentally rewrite the way we live. Gene editing and cell therapy will dramatically change how we treat cancer and other major illnesses. Biofuels and biomaterials will transform the cars we drive, the clothes we wear, and the makeup of everyday objects. Crop science and synthetic biology will produce sustainable and ethical food. Benchling’s mission is to accelerate the research that propels us towards this future, and magnify its impact, through modern software.
Every day, scientists around the world use Benchling in their efforts to solve humanity's most pressing problems. For these scientists, Benchling is the central technology they use to conduct their research.
Benchling was founded by a team of MIT graduates and has raised funding from Benchmark, Andreessen Horowitz, Thrive Capital, and Y Combinator. Our customers include pharmaceutical giants, leading biotechs, and the world's most renowned research institutes.
Our design + engineering + product team of ~75 is growing quickly. We're looking for a strong designer to add to our design team and ship creative solutions to complex product problems, helping to drive the biotech revolution.
- Partner with Design, PM and Engineering to define the strategy and prioritize the design system roadmap
- Connect the dots across product areas to create a cohesive and scalable design system and customer experience
- Communicate and align with stakeholders, to keep them informed on the design system team's progress and goals
- Work through product problems from definition and opportunity to shipping features to our customers
- Design and prototype multiple ideas quickly, sometimes with customers, to validate product directions
- Instill a culture of design in a company that already takes user experience as its key differentiator
- At least 6 years of experience designing for software products, ideally SAAS, that customers love
- Experience building and maintaining a design system for complex software products
- A strong portfolio of relevant design work that conveys an ability to ship successful products people love
- Experience with and affinity for highly complex product architectures
- Strong communication skills and ability to explain the reasoning behind complex decisions
- Experience working with PM and engineering in a fast-moving environment
- Relentless focus on the customer
Benchling welcomes everyone. We believe every member of our team enriches our diversity and inclusion by broadening our ways of problem-solving. Even if you don’t meet 100% of the qualifications for this job, we strongly encourage you to apply.
- Admit mistakes and shortcomings
- Deliver results
- Disagree and commit
- Obsess over customers
- Rely on work ethic
- Show empathy
- Recruit and develop the best
- Sweat the details
- Think and communicate clearly
- Unite around the mission
PERKS AND BENEFITS
- Work with a talented yet humble team
- Competitive compensation & equity package
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Monthly health & wellness stipend
- Weekly virtual social events, and annual company retreats
- *$1,000 work-from-home stipend
In following best practices and safety protocols, all Benchling employees are expected to work remotely until we are further advised that it is safe for employees to resume work in their respective office locations.
*To support remote work conditions, Benchling provides each employee a one-time stipend of $1,000 upon commencing employment, and additional discounted employee purchase plans for home-office equipment.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Back to top