Biotechnology is rewriting life as we know it, from the medicines we take, to the crops we grow, the materials we wear, and the household goods that we rely on every day. But moving at the new speed of science requires better technology.
Benchling’s mission is to unlock the power of biotechnology. The world’s most innovative biotech companies use Benchling’s R&D Cloud to power the development of breakthrough products and accelerate time to milestone and market.
Come help us bring modern software to modern science.
The Product Design team at Benchling is committed to building user experiences that support the scientists who are solving the world’s most important problems. Our work has a direct impact on making scientific workflows more efficient while improving the quality of that research—ultimately helping to drive the biotech revolution.
As the Lead Product Designer, you'll guide a team in designing for the premier platform in biotech R&D. You will work closely with customers, cross-functional partners and the extended Product Management and Engineering team to bring simplicity, extensibility and consistency to the Benchling user experience.
An ideal fit for this team will be able to balance customer needs and priorities with the goals of our internal R&D team to deliver highly consistent, delightful user experiences at scale.
- Work with Product Management and Engineering teams to define product strategy, scope, and prioritization
- Work through product problems from definition and opportunity to shipping features to our customers
- Design and prototype multiple ideas quickly, sometimes with customers, to validate product directions
- Own the design for high-impact initiatives from research through implementation
- Mentor and grow designers and researchers on your team, helping them to develop and refine their skills
- Contribute to developing a culture of design in a company that recognizes user experience as a key differentiator
- Extensive experience driving the design of software products, ideally SaaS, while maintaining a relentless focus on the customer
- A strong portfolio of relevant design work that conveys an ability to ship successful products
- A track record of working with and affinity for highly complex product architectures
- Strong communication skills and ability to explain the reasoning behind complex decisions
- Experience contributing to a design system for complex software products
- Experience working with Product Management and Engineering teams in a fast-moving environment
Benchling welcomes everyone.
We believe diversity enriches our team so we hire people with a wide range of identities, backgrounds, and experiences. Even if you don't meet 100% of the qualifications for this job, we strongly encourage you to apply.
We are an equal opportunity employer. That means we don’t discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Our leadership principles guide how all Benchlings can lead by example:
- Admit mistakes and shortcomings
- Deliver results
- Disagree and commit
- Obsess over customers
- Rely on work ethic
- Show empathy
- Recruit and develop the best
- Sweat the details
- Think and communicate clearly
- Unite around the mission
For applicants for U.S.-based roles only: All new hires in the United States are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and to provide proof of vaccination prior to their first day of employment. If you are unable to be vaccinated for medical or religious reasons, we will explore potential reasonable accommodations; however, Benchling may not be able to grant such accommodations in all cases if doing so would cause undue hardship.
If you are a Colorado resident: Please contact us by emailing email@example.com to receive compensation and benefits information for this role. Please include the job title in the subject line of the email.