Over the coming years, biotech will fundamentally rewrite the way we live. Gene editing and cell therapy are dramatically changing how we treat cancer and other major illnesses. Biofuels and biomaterials are transforming the cars we drive, the clothes we wear, and the makeup of everyday objects. Crop science and synthetic biology are producing sustainable and ethical food. Benchling’s mission is to accelerate the research that propels us towards this reality, and magnify its impact, through modern software.
Every day, scientists around the world use Benchling’s applications, platform, & analytics in their efforts to solve humanity’s most pressing problems. For these scientists, Benchling is the central technology they use to conduct their research. Our customers include pharmaceutical giants, leading biotechs, and the world’s most renowned research institutes.
Benchling is hiring multiple Market Strategy Leads for its Strategy team, who will be responsible for creating and executing multi-year strategies in new markets. We are looking for entrepreneurial individuals that thrive on results, enjoy the zero to one of market creation, and are passionate about scientific advances in the life sciences. In addition, successful candidates will demonstrate structured thinking, exceptional communication skills, and deep empathy for our customers. Market Strategy Leads will regularly collaborate with senior management, product, and all of our go-to-market (GTM) functions to help our organization execute on its mission and operating goals.
The ideal candidate will have experience in life sciences R&D and deeply understands how software can be a force multiplier for our customers. Prior experience as a strategy professional and exposure to high growth, software or technology companies (working within or alongside) is preferred.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Conduct primary qualitative and quantitative customer research to understand key problems, buyer personas, and unmet needs, partnering closely with in-house subject matter experts
- Map and assess the competitive landscape and value chain/ecosystem
- Forge and foster strategic customer and user relationships
- Develop a multi-year strategic plan for the target end market, inclusive of customer adoption and revenue
- Build relationships with cross-functional product and go-to-market (GTM) teams
- Collaborate closely with product, product marketing, enablement, sales, and customer experience teams to build, launch, sell, and grow adoption in new markets
- Support partnership and business development activities
- 7-10+ years of combined experience across strategy, management consulting, business development, and/or corporate development alongside direct experience in life sciences, ideally working in drug discovery or development
- Likely possess a PhD or Masters in a scientific domain (e.g., biology, computational biology, chemistry, etc.)
- Possess a product-centric view of problem solving and an understanding of commercialization/go-to-market in software companies (GTM)
- Entrepreneurial mindset with a strong will to win in the marketplace
- Bias towards execution and proving ideas with customers
- Think in frameworks and first principles; comfortable explaining the “why” behind your thinking
- Communicate clearly across all mediums, especially written
- High degree of organization and attention to detail
- Prioritize well and move easily between long-term projects and short-term deal sprints
- Invest in building reusable processes and work products
Benchling welcomes everyone. We believe every member of our team enriches our diversity and inclusion by broadening our ways of problem-solving for future challenges. Even if you don't meet 100% of the qualifications for this job, we strongly encourage you to apply.
- Admit mistakes and shortcomings
- Deliver results
- Disagree and commit
- Obsess over customers
- Rely on work ethic
- Show empathy
- Recruit and develop the best
- Sweat the details
- Think and communicate clearly
- Unite around the mission
PERKS AND BENEFITS
- Work with a talented yet humble team
- Competitive compensation & equity package
- Weekly virtual social events, and annual company retreats
- 401k, Medical, dental, and vision insurance (US Employees Only)
- Monthly health & wellness stipend
- Yearly educational stipend
- Flexible & Generous Vacation Policy: If you feel you need a break, you can talk directly with your manager to find coverage and support while you are out of the office. Need time off to vote? We've got you covered.
- Quarterly company-wide mental health days off
- Holiday Shut-down: company-wide holiday shut-down between Christmas Eve and New Years
- Major US and EMEA holidays observed
- To support remote work conditions during the COVID-19 pandemic, Benchling provides each employee a one-time stipend of $1,000(USD) upon commencing employment, and additional discounted employee purchase plans for home-office equipment.
Protecting the health of our employees and the candidates interested in a role at Benchling is our top priority. We appreciate your understanding and being open and flexible with any changes related to our interviewing process.
For applicants for U.S.-based roles only: All new hires in the United States are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and to provide proof of vaccination prior to their first day of employment. If you are unable to be vaccinated for medical or religious reasons, we will explore potential reasonable accommodations; however, Benchling may not be able to grant such accommodations in all cases if doing so would cause an undue hardship.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.