Over the coming years, biotech will fundamentally rewrite the way we live. Gene editing and cell therapy are dramatically changing how we treat cancer and other major illnesses. Biofuels and biomaterials are transforming the cars we drive, the clothes we wear, and the makeup of everyday objects. Crop science and synthetic biology are producing sustainable and ethical food. Benchling’s mission is to accelerate the research that propels us towards this reality, and magnify its impact, through modern software.
Every day, scientists around the world use Benchling’s applications, platform, & analytics in their efforts to solve humanity’s most pressing problems. For these scientists, Benchling is the central technology they use to conduct their research. Our customers include pharmaceutical giants, leading biotechs, and the world’s most renowned research institutes.
Benchling is hiring a Business Development Lead for its Strategy team, who will be responsible for product and technical partnerships, including third party platform relationships. We are looking for an experienced professional to support our product strategy, develop a comprehensive understanding of the external landscape, energize partners, and ultimately identify and execute on partnerships. The successful candidate will demonstrate structured thinking, exceptional communication skills, ease in developing internal and external relationships, and a true partnership mindset that delivers positive sum deals. The Business Development Lead will closely collaborate with product, finance, and all of our go-to-market (GTM) functions to help the organization execute on its strategy.
The ideal candidate will have experience in or across the following areas: business development, corporate development, or partnerships in a tech company. Exposure to life sciences is helpful but not required.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Work alongside Corporate Strategy and Product to establish high priority areas of our market and product roadmaps for product/technical partnerships
- Define the partnership strategy for each high priority category or market (preferred versus neutral/open; depth and scope of product/GTM integration, commercial/economic structure)
- Build comprehensive landscapes of prospective partners
- Identify and meet partners (sourcing), develop deep understanding of partner needs, refine Benchling value proposition to partners and combined solution value proposition to customers, and make recommendations on partnerships to pursue
- Execute on partnerships in collaboration with Product, Legal, and Finance as needed, including setting deal structure and terms
- Drive partnership success from deal close through implementation, working across product and GTM teams, including enablement
- Regularly present to Benchling leadership across Product, Engineering, Sales, and Finance on the external environment in high priority areas and on the status of in-flight partnerships
- 7-10+ years of combined experience working in/across corporate development, business development, corporate strategy, investment banking, and/or venture capital
- Direct deal experience with product/technical partnerships or strategic business development (include deal sheet with résumé as applicable)
- Possess a product-centric view of problem solving and an understanding of commercialization/go-to-market in software companies (GTM)
- Deep curiosity about life sciences, our customers, and our markets
- Express generative and creative thinking, especially around structure and getting to positive sum outcomes
- Think in frameworks and first principles; comfortable explaining the “why” behind your thinking
- Communicate clearly across all mediums, especially written
- Extremely high attention to detail
- Prioritize well and move easily between long-term projects and short-term deal sprints
- Invest in building reusable processes and work products
Benchling welcomes everyone. We believe every member of our team enriches our diversity and inclusion by broadening our ways of problem-solving for future challenges. Even if you don't meet 100% of the qualifications for this job, we strongly encourage you to apply.
- Admit mistakes and shortcomings
- Deliver results
- Disagree and commit
- Obsess over customers
- Rely on work ethic
- Show empathy
- Recruit and develop the best
- Sweat the details
- Think and communicate clearly
- Unite around the mission
PERKS AND BENEFITS
- Work with a talented yet humble team
- Competitive compensation & equity package
- Weekly virtual social events, and annual company retreats
- 401k, Medical, dental, and vision insurance (US Employees Only)
- Monthly health & wellness stipend
- Yearly educational stipend
- Flexible & Generous Vacation Policy: If you feel you need a break, you can talk directly with your manager to find coverage and support while you are out of the office. Need time off to vote? We've got you covered.
- Quarterly company-wide mental health days off
- Holiday Shut-down: company-wide holiday shut-down between Christmas Eve and New Years
- Major US and EMEA holidays observed
- To support remote work conditions during the COVID-19 pandemic, Benchling provides each employee a one-time stipend of $1,000(USD) upon commencing employment, and additional discounted employee purchase plans for home-office equipment.
Protecting the health of our employees and the candidates interested in a role at Benchling is our top priority. We appreciate your understanding and being open and flexible with any changes related to our interviewing process.
For applicants for U.S.-based roles only: All new hires in the United States are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and to provide proof of vaccination prior to their first day of employment. If you are unable to be vaccinated for medical or religious reasons, we will explore potential reasonable accommodations; however, Benchling may not be able to grant such accommodations in all cases if doing so would cause an undue hardship.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.