Biotechnology is rewriting life as we know it, from the medicines we take, to the crops we grow, the materials we wear, and the household goods that we rely on every day. But moving at the new speed of science requires better technology.
Benchling’s mission is to unlock the power of biotechnology. The world’s most innovative biotech companies use Benchling’s R&D Cloud to power the development of breakthrough products and accelerate time to milestone and market.
Come help us bring modern software to modern science.
Benchling is hiring a Head of Corporate Strategy for its Strategy team, who will be responsible for a range of strategic planning activities across new market opportunities. We are looking for a strategy professional to drive market analysis and sequencing, support long range planning, build an industry research program, and help direct strategic deal activity. The successful candidate will demonstrate structured thinking, exceptional communication skills, and deep empathy for our customers and partners. The Head of Corporate Strategy will regularly collaborate with executive leadership, finance, product, and marketing to help our organization execute on its mission and operating goals.
The ideal candidate will have experience in or across the following areas: corporate strategy/strategic planning, strategic finance, and/or corporate development. Experience in or exposure to life sciences is highly preferred as the corporate strategy lead acts as a domain expert for cross-functional teams.
- Deliver a strategy agenda that incorporates recurring content for executive leadership and ad hoc support for specific strategic questions
- Conduct primary qualitative and quantitative market research to build an understanding of end markets, including market sizing (TAM), competitive landscape, and value chain/ecosystem
- Build defensible business cases for market prioritization and sequencing, helping the executive leadership team make long-term product and market investment decisions
- Formulate initial hypotheses on build vs. buy vs. partner for new markets and work with corporate development, business development, and market strategy leads to test hypotheses and action strategy
- Consolidate and maintain multi-year strategic plans across prioritized new markets, folding into the overall long range planning activities
- Create and maintain frameworks for customer prioritization, answering the “who” and “when” to pursue as it relates to our markets and products
- Conceive and deliver research on relevant trends in our key industry verticals and partner with marketing to bring that messaging to executives
- 7-10+ years of combined experience working in/across corporate strategy, management consulting, and/or corporate development
- Possess a product-centric view of problem solving and an understanding of commercialization/go-to-market in software companies (GTM)
- Deep curiosity about life sciences, our customers, and our markets
- Express generative and creative thinking
- Think in frameworks and first principles; comfortable explaining the “why” behind your thinking
- Communicate clearly across all mediums, especially written
- High degree of organization and attention to detail
- Prioritize well and move easily between long-term projects and short-term activity sprints
- Invest in building reusable processes and work products
Benchling welcomes everyone.
We believe diversity enriches our team so we hire people with a wide range of identities, backgrounds, and experiences. Even if you don't meet 100% of the qualifications for this job, we strongly encourage you to apply.
We are an equal opportunity employer. That means we don’t discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Our leadership principles guide how all Benchlings can lead by example:
- Admit mistakes and shortcomings
- Deliver results
- Disagree and commit
- Obsess over customers
- Rely on work ethic
- Show empathy
- Recruit and develop the best
- Sweat the details
- Think and communicate clearly
- Unite around the mission
For applicants for U.S.-based roles only: All new hires in the United States are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and to provide proof of vaccination prior to their first day of employment. If you are unable to be vaccinated for medical or religious reasons, we will explore potential reasonable accommodations; however, Benchling may not be able to grant such accommodations in all cases if doing so would cause undue hardship.
If you are a Colorado resident: Please contact us by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org to receive compensation and benefits information for this role. Please include the job title in the subject line of the email.