Head of Brand & Communications
- San Francisco, CA
Over the next 10 years, biotech will fundamentally rewrite the way we live. Gene editing and cell therapy will dramatically change how we treat cancer and other major illnesses. Biofuels and biomaterials will transform the cars we drive, the clothes we wear, and the makeup of everyday objects. Crop science and synthetic biology will produce sustainable and ethical food. Benchling’s mission is to accelerate the research that propels us towards this future, and magnify its impact, through modern software.
Every day, scientists around the world use Benchling in their efforts to solve humanity's most pressing problems. For these scientists, Benchling is the central technology they use to conduct their research.
Benchling was founded by a team of MIT graduates and has raised funding from Benchmark, Andreessen Horowitz, Thrive Capital, and Y Combinator. Our customers include pharmaceutical giants, leading biotechs, and the world's most renowned research institutes.
Reporting to the CMO, the Head of Brand & Communications will define and shape the company’s brand strategy and external narrative while also driving hands-on execution of all editorial efforts. We are looking for a leader who loves crafting a good story, can carve out a unique voice for Benchling, and make us one of the most recognized brands in life sciences across academic researchers, biotech startups, and large global enterprises. This leader will partner closely with our CEO and other marketing leaders to elevate Benchling’s brand vision and ensure creative application of Benchling’s brand voice across all external channels and assets.
- Develop a strong point-of-view of the Benchling brand and guide the company in creating a compelling, differentiated brand in the life sciences industry.
- Launch multi-channel brand campaigns in collaboration with creative and content teams.
- Support our presence at industry conferences with stories about our users and our unique approach to life sciences software.
- Provide cross-functional leadership to ensure consistent and cohesive brand expression across the company.
- Own brand health metrics (awareness, relevance, consideration, etc) and develop strategies to support this.
- Elevate the voice of our CEO by creating narratives and messaging that position Benchling as a life sciences thought-leader.
- Develop and execute a comprehensive CEO communications cadence to drive regular engagement with customers, influencers, and media.
- Draft presentation outlines, speeches, talking points, and articles for our CEO.
- Monitor relevant topics and trends for CEO communication opportunities.
- Create a distinct voice for our CEO on social media.
- Own the company’s PR strategy, set PR objectives, and drive PR execution in partnership with our PR agency.
- Track media coverage and report on PR results.
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with media and industry influencers.
- Formulate compelling media pitches and bylines to elevate Benchling’s brand presence.
- Organize PR events to increase awareness of our company.
- Surface and develop a pipeline of stories (including industry thought-leadership, customer successes, business momentum, and workplace culture) that can be leveraged in the media or company-published materials.
- Conduct primary and secondary research to develop data-informed narratives and programs.
- Act as editor-in-chief of the Benchling blog with oversight of its editorial direction and focus.
- Craft a vision for and launch a podcast series that showcases industry leaders and allows Benchling to claim a unique spot in the life science media landscape.
- Maximize Benching’s following and presence on Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook and other social media channels with a tailored approach for each.
- Ensure a high standard of messaging and writing for all marketing assets from taglines and short snippets, to video scripts and website copy, to long-form articles and white papers.
- 10+ years technology marketing experience including at well-established global brands.
- Spent time in hyper-growth startups with deep understanding of category creation.
- Background or interest in life sciences strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to distill complex ideas into simple, credible narratives.
- Talented writer/editor/storyteller who can balance the big picture and sweat the details.
- Expertise in writing/editing for different formats and mediums including long-form, short-form, social media, web, and video.
- Exceptional presentation and communication skills.
- Track record working with senior executives to provide strategic counsel.
- Energetic, organized self-starter comfortable with setting up a new function.
- Collaborative team builder with strong interpersonal and relationship-building skills.
- Experience hiring, mentoring, and retaining teams.
- Empower through information. We explain the “why” behind every decision, unless there are highly sensitive circumstances. We're honest about how we're doing, especially in difficult times. We believe that sharing information builds trust and enables better decision-making.
- Rely on tenacity. Hard work is one of the greatest factors to determine success and is fully under our control. We must make the most of every day by bringing the highest level of determination. Dreaming big is not enough.
- Raise the bar. Pushing ourselves and others to improve will be uncomfortable and at times result in failure. However, it's critical to our success. We're dedicated to creating a place where everyone feels challenged to improve.
- Build a lever. We choose to build tools and infrastructure that will help others make world-changing innovations. There's less glory in it, but in the words of Archimedes, "Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world."
PERKS AND BENEFITS
- Work with a talented yet humble team
- Competitive compensation & equity package
- Monthly health & wellness stipend
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Weekly virtual social events, and annual company retreats
- *$1,000 work-from-home stipend
*In following best practices and safety protocols, all Benchling employees are expected to work remotely until we are further advised that it is safe for employees to resume work in their respective office locations. To support remote work conditions, Benchling provides each employee a one-time stipend of $1,000 upon commencing employment, and additional discounted employee purchase plans for home-office equipment.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Back to top