Head of Application Product Management
- San Francisco, CA
Over the next 10 years, biotech will fundamentally rewrite the way we live. Gene editing and cell therapy will dramatically change how we treat cancer and other major illnesses. Biofuels and biomaterials will transform the cars we drive, the clothes we wear, and the makeup of everyday objects. Crop science and synthetic biology will produce sustainable and ethical food. Benchling’s mission is to accelerate the research that propels us towards this future, and magnify its impact, through modern software.
Every day, scientists around the world use Benchling in their efforts to solve humanity's most pressing problems. Benchling makes scientists’ lives much easier by centralizing all of their software and data, so they have one place to go for everything. Our applications power all of this - a centralized, collaborative space for their experiments in our Notebook, tooling for DNA and AA design in our Molecular Biology tools, and organization and structure for their work through Requests and Workflows. Our clients’ science is unique, and our applications enables them to easily use our product to accelerate their science.
Benchling was founded by a team of MIT graduates and has raised funding from Andreessen Horowitz, Benchmark, Menlo Ventures, Thrive Capital, and Y Combinator. Our customers include pharmaceutical giants, leading biotechs, and the world's most renowned research institutes.
Scientists’ cutting-edge science deserves cutting-edge software. We’re looking for a Product leader who will drive the evolution of the strategy and vision for our applications, deliver a delightful end-user experience that meets enterprise needs, and do so through a team of PMs working on those applications.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Lead a team of product managers in building our Notebook, Molecular Biology, Requests, and Workflows products
- Partner with the executive team and engineering leadership to strategically plan organization and product roadmaps
- Define a best-in-class scientist experience across our applications and make it so
- Work closely with our customers to understand how they’re using our product, and what we can do to make them more productive
- Measure the impact of the application team’s work by define success metrics, tracking progress, and iterating on plans based on that data
WHO YOU ARE
- Have 10+ years as a product leader working on and selling enterprise collaboration products, with at least 5 years of experience as a people manager
- A manager, coach, and mentor that has a proven track record of recruiting and building strong product teams
- Have a relentless obsession with building products that delight end-users with an intense desire to understand, question, and improve the experiences for users of software products
- A strong problem solver that can gather, prioritize, and drive execution on customer and business requirements, turning them into successful product strategies
- Possess influential leadership and interpersonal skills that enable you to build strong relationships with customers, your reports, company peers, and senior executives
- Are excellent at listening to others and articulating ideas in written and oral form
- Empower through information. We explain the “why” behind every decision, unless there are highly sensitive circumstances. We're honest about how we're doing, especially in difficult times. We believe that sharing information builds trust and enables better decision-making.
- Rely on tenacity. Hard work is one of the greatest factors to determine success and is fully under our control. We must make the most of every day by bringing the highest level of determination. Dreaming big is not enough.
- Raise the bar. Pushing ourselves and others to improve will be uncomfortable and at times result in failure. However, it's critical to our success. We're dedicated to creating a place where everyone feels challenged to improve.
- Build a lever. We choose to build tools and infrastructure that will help others make world-changing innovations. There's less glory in it, but in the words of Archimedes, "Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world."
PERKS AND BENEFITS
- Work with a talented yet humble team
- Competitive compensation & equity package
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Monthly health & wellness stipend
- Weekly virtual social events, and annual company retreats
- *$1,000 work-from-home stipend
In following best practices and safety protocols, all Benchling employees are expected to work remotely until we are further advised that it is safe for employees to resume work in their respective office locations.
*To support remote work conditions, Benchling provides each employee a one-time stipend of $1,000 upon commencing employment, and additional discounted employee purchase plans for home-office equipment.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Back to top