Over the coming years, biotech will fundamentally rewrite the way we live. Gene editing and cell therapy are dramatically changing how we treat cancer and other major illnesses. Biofuels and biomaterials are transforming the cars we drive, the clothes we wear, and the makeup of everyday objects. Crop science and synthetic biology are producing sustainable and ethical food. Benchling’s mission is to accelerate the research that propels us towards this reality, and magnify its impact, through modern software.
Every day, scientists around the world use Benchling’s applications, platform, & analytics in their efforts to solve humanity’s most pressing problems. For these scientists, Benchling is the central technology they use to conduct their research. Our customers include pharmaceutical giants, leading biotechs, and the world’s most renowned research institutes.
As part of the Technical Program Management team, your role will be to drive the effectiveness and efficiency of our R&D organization across engineering, product, and design (i.e. EPD). You will be helping the team in defining objectives, strategy, planning, tactics, and in developing and implementing processes that scale.
You will be working closely with a cross-functional team to define and refine program scope, timelines, dependencies, resource planning and risks to enable and ensure that the team efficiently makes decisions and delivers on commitments. You will manage, track and communicate overall status to all stakeholders, proactively spotting and overcoming potential obstacles and establishing credibility and trust at the “grass roots” level of the team.
In addition to working with the broader team, you will also be interfacing with Customer Experience to craft release plans, and deployment progress. You will also ensure that customer impacting defects and incidents are clearly communicated and tracked. You will develop the necessary processes, templates, and communication channels to support this across a dynamic range of domains (product marketing, customer success, product, engineering) and management levels (VPs, managers, ICs).
Also, Benchling operates a customer-facing development team, Customer Engineering, that handles custom application and integrations on the platform. You may be responsible for supporting project costing, creating 2 (or 3 party) project plans, working directly and confidently with customers and vendors on updates and issue tracking. As Benchling’s ecosystem strategy gets even more defined, you will be instrumental in setting up the developer partner-facing interfaces, process, and support.
WHAT YOU MIGHT WORK ON
- Lead key programs that are part of the Engineering, Product and Design Roadmap
- Build and own project plans for your programs. This could include different scenarios project plans depending on any or all of the following: customer asks/commitments, resources and dependencies
- Establish the key operational reports and metrics we need to track at a program level
- Own and evolve all the necessary planning and engineering program level artifacts (i.e. project plans, resource planning, RAG status, risk register, change management, etc.)
- Run regular team status meetings and reporting on overall program health
- Work with your peers in the EPD Management Team to incorporate your programs into the overall EPD planning cycle and process.
- Work with EPD Operations and Leadership to pioneer processes and procedures to plan and execute on program level initiatives at scale
- Be a champion and educator of pragmatic blend of both program management and agile scrum practices
- 7+ years experience with engineering program management, management consulting, product management, and/or similar in the technology industry; experience in a B2B enterprise SaaS business is a bonus
- A proven technical program/project manager who has driven complex cross-functional rollouts
- Delivered key growth initiatives, including business case justification and scope refinement in order to drive consensus and deliver successful outcomes
- Knowledge and use of Program, Project Management and Agile tools (i.e. Jira, Smartsheet, Asana, etc.) - able to create moderate to complex level project plans and resource leveling
- Extensive experience in applying both project/program management and agile methodologies to both real world and start-up growth environments
- Very comfortable reporting to higher level management and Executives and facilitating large discussions.
- Highly collaborative, excel at listening to others, and excellent at articulating ideas in written and oral form
- Motivated self-starter with a high attention to detail; flexible and adaptable to change
- Interest in software team structure, workflow, process, tools and team dynamics to help us manage EPD’s rapid growth
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical field
Benchling welcomes everyone. We believe every member of our team enriches our diversity and inclusion by broadening our ways of problem-solving for future challenges. Even if you don't meet 100% of the qualifications for this job, we strongly encourage you to apply.
- Admit mistakes and shortcomings
- Deliver results
- Disagree and commit
- Obsess over customers
- Rely on work ethic
- Show empathy
- Recruit and develop the best
- Sweat the details
- Think and communicate clearly
- Unite around the mission
PERKS AND BENEFITS
- Work with a talented yet humble team
- Competitive compensation & equity package
- Weekly virtual social events, and annual company retreats
- 401k, Medical, dental, and vision insurance (US Employees Only)
- Monthly health & wellness stipend
- Yearly educational stipend
- Flexible & Generous Vacation Policy: If you feel you need a break, you can talk directly with your manager to find coverage and support while you are out of the office. Need time off to vote? We've got you covered.
- Quarterly company-wide mental health days off
- Holiday Shut-down: company-wide holiday shut-down between Christmas Eve and New Years
- Major US and EMEA holidays observed
- To support remote work conditions during the COVID-19 pandemic, Benchling provides each employee a one-time stipend of $1,000(USD) upon commencing employment, and additional discounted employee purchase plans for home-office equipment.
Protecting the health of our employees and the candidates interested in a role at Benchling is our top priority. We appreciate your understanding and being open and flexible with any changes related to our interviewing process.
For applicants for U.S.-based roles only: All new hires in the United States are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and to provide proof of vaccination prior to their first day of employment. If you are unable to be vaccinated for medical or religious reasons, we will explore potential reasonable accommodations; however, Benchling may not be able to grant such accommodations in all cases if doing so would cause an undue hardship.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.