Experienced Software Engineer, Infrastructure
- San Francisco, CA
Over the coming years, biotech will fundamentally rewrite the way we live. Gene editing and cell therapy are dramatically changing how we treat cancer and other major illnesses. Biofuels and biomaterials are transforming the cars we drive, the clothes we wear, and the makeup of everyday objects. Crop science and synthetic biology are producing sustainable and ethical food. Benchling’s mission is to accelerate the research that propels us towards this reality, and magnify its impact, through modern software.
Every day, scientists around the world use Benchling’s applications, platform, & analytics in their efforts to solve humanity’s most pressing problems. For these scientists, Benchling is the central technology they use to conduct their research. Our customers include pharmaceutical giants, leading biotechs, and the world’s most renowned research institutes.
Benchling brings best-in-breed data infrastructure to the world's leading biotech companies. As an Infrastructure Engineer, you'll build the processes and underlying systems that power Benchling's platform and applications. Ultimately, your work will be reflected in the agility, performance, reliability, and security of the Benchling platform.
Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) at Benchling is also part of the Infrastructure team. We empower engineers on other teams by making their work easier. As the Benchling engineering team triples in size, we'll invest in our service architecture, monitoring. tooling, and site reliability processes so we can build the next generation of our product. Our users are generating more kinds of data at an increasing rate and they're collaborating globally with each other, so our infrastructure needs to grow alongside them. In addition, the data our customers entrust us with is key to their businesses, so our platform needs to be highly reliable and trusted.
As a platform, Benchling is also a developer-facing product where we enable new forms of automation and integration in the life science space. Your work will be used more directly here - Benchling infrastructure extends or replaces our customers' infrastructure to store/process data. You may build systems that form a data pipeline for experimental results, an event queue to trigger customer integrations, or a compute platform to deploy and scale custom analysis.
We are looking for strong engineers with 5+ years of experience to join as a member of the larger Platform team and work alongside other infrastructure-focused peers. You'll collaborate with former Stripe, Google, and Facebook engineers to build a highly reliable, yet rapidly-evolving, backbone of our platform.
WHAT YOU MIGHT WORK ON
- Design, build, and maintain core infrastructure hosted on AWS
- Build developer-facing systems to test, build, and deploy Benchling’s software
- Define and implement our infrastructural security posture
- Develop monitoring/observability and automation as part of a lean operations function
- Define and lead processes for site reliability that will be used across Engineering and Customer Experience
- These are examples of projects we've worked on in the past or may work on in the near future - our projects are often changing, but this will hopefully give you an idea of the work to be done.
- Iterating on our tenancy model and architecture to build out resource isolation, data segmentation, and deployment models as we scale our customer base.
- Building a test and deploy pipeline on Buildkite - we have a large test suite and a large number of Benchling instances and need tools to deploy faster while maintaining the same degree of reliability.
- Improving network performance for global users - this is an open-ended problem which needs to be solved as our user base becomes increasingly international.
- Observability - mature our monitoring, tracing, and alerting systems so we have the right dashboards, notifications, and tools to quickly identify and resolve operational issues.
- Automating remediation of fault conditions to improve overall reliability and eliminate repetitive operational tasks.
- Building tooling and infrastructure for a more modular/service-based architecture - we're not religious about microservices or monoliths, but we plan to scale our architecture with our engineering team.
- 5+ more years of experience as a DevOps engineer, Site Reliability engineer, or Software Engineer building platform infrastructure.
- Have experience with deployment and configuration management frameworks such as Terraform, Ansible, or Chef; with CI/CD systems such as BuildKite or Jenkins; and with containers and container management systems such as Kubernetes or Amazon ECS.
- Understand cloud computing, virtualization, and microservices architectures. Experience with major cloud platforms, especially AWS, is a plus.
- Write clear, well-tested code in Python, Java, Go, or Ruby.
- Have a bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or a related field.
IF YOU ARE SEEKING A NEW GRAD POSITION / INTERNSHIP:
- We are hiring for summer interns in 2021. Please apply here.
- If you are graduating in the class of 2020-2021, please apply here.
Benchling welcomes everyone. We believe every member of our team enriches our diversity and inclusion by broadening our ways of problem-solving for future challenges. Even if you don't meet 100% of the qualifications for this job, we strongly encourage you to apply.
- Admit mistakes and shortcomings
- Deliver results
- Disagree and commit
- Obsess over customers
- Rely on work ethic
- Show empathy
- Recruit and develop the best
- Sweat the details
- Think and communicate clearly
- Unite around the mission
PERKS AND BENEFITS
- Work with a talented yet humble team
- Competitive compensation & equity package
- Quarterly mental health days
- Weekly virtual social events, and annual company retreats
- 401k, Medical, dental, and vision insurance (US Employees Only)
- Monthly health & wellness stipend (Currently US Employees Only)
- Yearly educational stipend (Currently US Employees Only)
- To support remote work conditions, Benchling provides each employee a one-time stipend of $1,000(USD) upon commencing employment, and additional discounted employee purchase plans for home-office equipment.
In following best practices and safety protocols, all Benchling employees are expected to work remotely until we are further advised that it is safe for employees to resume work in their respective office locations.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Back to top