- San Francisco, CA
Over the coming years, biotech will fundamentally rewrite the way we live. Gene editing and cell therapy are dramatically changing how we treat cancer and other major illnesses. Biofuels and biomaterials are transforming the cars we drive, the clothes we wear, and the makeup of everyday objects. Crop science and synthetic biology are producing sustainable and ethical food. Benchling’s mission is to accelerate the research that propels us towards this reality, and magnify its impact, through modern software.
Every day, scientists around the world use Benchling’s applications, platform, & analytics in their efforts to solve humanity's most pressing problems. For these scientists, Benchling is the central technology they use to conduct their research. Our customers include pharmaceutical giants, leading biotechs, and the world's most renowned research institutes.
Benchling is building an Internal Data and Analytics team, which will be focused on establishing the necessary data infrastructure and systems to enable all of our business units to answer key questions and make strategic decisions. If you have a passion for investigating what makes a growing business tick, and if you imagine yourself exploring data from systems across an entire company to dig up answers to these questions, we want to meet you.
You will establish key metrics for many stakeholders within the company, including Product, Marketing, Sales, and Customer Success, and identify opportunities for data to guide critical strategic product and business decisions. In addition, you will be one of the first people at Benchling building the next generation of our data infrastructure, which will be used not only by the data practitioners on our team, but by the rest of the company as well.
As one of Benchling’s first data analysts, you’ll be joining a rapidly growing, world-class engineering and product team and form the foundation of our data organization. You will help to build the next generation of our data infrastructure and enable the company to answer key questions and make better decisions. Benchling is growing really quickly, and you’ll be setting the bar for high quality data and a metrics-driven culture as we scale.
- Work closely with cross-functional teams across all of Benchling to develop a strategy around our data platform and to establish best practices for a metrics-driven culture.
- Build dashboards / reports and empower the business to answer key questions across Sales, Marketing, Customer Success, Recruiting, Product, and Engineering.
- Prioritize between multiple planned analytics projects and ad-hoc data requests for our internal stakeholders
- Define and design data pipelines and data integrations to collect, clean, and store large scale, cross-functional datasets.
- BS or MS degree in Computer Science or a related quantitative field
- 5+ years experience, not counting academic experience, on data science or data analytics teams, especially on data teams focused on internal operations
- Experience with querying and exploring data stored in MPPs (Redshift, Snowflake, Hive/Presto, or similar technologies)
- Demonstrable fluency with SQL (primarily PostgreSQL)
- Experience with a scripting language (Python, Ruby, or similar)
- Experience with data visualization tools such as Tableau, Looker, or similar tools
- Strong communicator with both words and data - you understand what it takes to go from raw data to something a human understand
Benchling welcomes everyone. We believe every member of our team enriches our diversity and inclusion by broadening our ways of problem-solving. Even if you don’t meet 100% of the qualifications for this job, we strongly encourage you to apply.
- Admit mistakes and shortcomings
- Deliver results
- Disagree and commit
- Obsess over customers
- Rely on work ethic
- Show empathy
- Recruit and develop the best
- Sweat the details
- Think and communicate clearly
- Unite around the mission
PERKS AND BENEFITS
- Work with a talented yet humble team
- Competitive compensation & equity package
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Monthly health & wellness stipend
- Weekly virtual social events, and annual company retreats
- *$1,000 work-from-home stipend
In following best practices and safety protocols, all Benchling employees are expected to work remotely until we are further advised that it is safe for employees to resume work in their respective office locations.
*To support remote work conditions, Benchling provides each employee a one-time stipend of $1,000 upon commencing employment, and additional discounted employee purchase plans for home-office equipment.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Back to top