Account Executive, Institutional
Over the next 10 years, biotech will fundamentally rewrite the way we live. Gene editing and cell therapy will dramatically change how we treat cancer and other major illnesses. Biofuels and biomaterials will transform the cars we drive, the clothes we wear, and the makeup of everyday objects. Crop science and synthetic biology will produce sustainable and ethical food. Benchling’s mission is to accelerate the research that propels us towards this future, and magnify its impact, through modern software.
Every day, scientists around the world use Benchling in their efforts to solve humanity's most pressing problems. For these scientists, Benchling is the central technology they use to conduct their research.
Benchling was founded by a team of MIT graduates and has raised funding from Benchmark, Andreessen Horowitz, Thrive Capital, and Y Combinator. Our customers include pharmaceutical giants, leading biotechs, and the world's most renowned research institutes.
Benchling is building a team of world-class account executives to drive commercialization of our product. You will be selling a product that fundamentally changes how research is done. Core responsibilities of this role include all aspects of the sales effort, from lead prospecting to relationship development to driving accounts to close. Beyond direct customer facing responsibilities, you will also be involved with helping build a repeatable on-boarding and training process and developing and improving sales collateral.
The Institutional Sales team focuses on academic and non-profit institutions. These are organizations who are frequently doing the most innovative work. Many of them already have users taking advantage of the free-for-academic version to enable their research. Your challenge is to help them understand the benefits of the paid version. A large part of this will mean working with functions such as legal and technology-transfer, since they are responsible for protecting the intellectual property rights and licensing revenue from their scientific discoveries.
WHAT YOU WILL WORK ON
- Active lead prospecting and demand generation across numerous universities and colleges, as well as prestigious non-profit organizations such as The Salk Institute and the Broad Institute
- Lead prioritization and appropriate prioritization of sales efforts through the sales funnel
- Drive customers through to close by thoughtfully addressing key stakeholders in the buyer journey while navigating organizational complexities
- Proactively build and improve on the sales collateral, processes, and tactics we use with this market segment
- If you're west coast based, ideally near our San Francisco HQ but open to other major metropolitan areas such as San Diego, LA, or Seattle, with the ability to work remotely and travel as needed covering the Western US territory
- If you're east coast based, ideally near our Boston office but open to other major metropolitan areas on the East Coast with the ability to work remotely and travel as needed covering the Eastern US territory
- Strongly passionate about the acceleration of life sciences research and the problems that Benchling is trying to solve
- Degree in the Life Sciences preferred
- 2 or more years life science software sales closing experience, with experience selling SaaS solutions, preferred
- LIMS, ELN experience preferred
- Experience selling to academic institutions preferred
- Demonstrable history of consistently achieving or exceeding ambitious sales targets
- Outstanding self-starter approach with the ability to be successful with very limited initial infrastructure
- Curiosity, creativity, and persistence. You should be excited to collaborate with customers as a thought partner
- Strong communication skills and the versatility to connect effectively with a range of stakeholders, including scientists, department heads, legal and IT stakeholders
- Empower through information. We explain the “why” behind every decision, unless there are highly sensitive circumstances. We're honest about how we're doing, especially in difficult times. We believe that sharing information builds trust and enables better decision-making.
- Rely on tenacity. Hard work is one of the greatest factors to determine success and is fully under our control. We must make the most of every day by bringing the highest level of determination. Dreaming big is not enough.
- Raise the bar. Pushing ourselves and others to improve will be uncomfortable and at times result in failure. However, it's critical to our success. We're dedicated to creating a place where everyone feels challenged to improve.
- Build a lever. We choose to build tools and infrastructure that will help others make world-changing innovations. There's less glory in it, but in the words of Archimedes, "Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world."
PERKS AND BENEFITS
- Work with a talented yet humble team
- Competitive compensation & equity package
- Monthly health & wellness stipend
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Weekly virtual social events, and annual company retreats
- *$1,000 work-from-home stipend
*In following best practices and safety protocols, all Benchling employees are expected to work remotely until we are further advised that it is safe for employees to resume work in their respective office locations. To support remote work conditions, Benchling provides each employee a one-time stipend of $1,000 upon commencing employment, and additional discounted employee purchase plans for home-office equipment.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
San Francisco applicants: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Back to top