Product Development Manager
- Santa Monica, CA
One by one, we are leading a movement to a future where all beauty is clean beauty. We are powered by people, and our collective mission is to get safer products into the hands of everyone. Formulate, advocate & educate- that's our motto for creating products that truly perform while holding ourselves to unparalleled standards of safety.
Why? It's really this simple: Beauty should be good for you.
Our Manager, Product Development will be responsible contributing to the conceptualization, initiation, development, evaluation and follow-through for Skin Care and Personal Care new product development and formula improvements in line with Beautycounter's Mission and “Never List”. You will collaborate with internal and external partners to ensure the parameters of the product development time-line, budget and schedule are followed with attention to detail in execution.
To be successful in this role you will:
- Manage multiple projects concurrently with a high attention to detail while being agile in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial market.
- Ensure new formula development and reformulations for calendarized programs meet Beautycounter's mission and commitments to performance and safety.
- Contribute to the development of innovative product concepts that generate new opportunities for brand growth.
- Ensure all programs have product development briefs and product profiles.
- Collaborate with Product Marketing on proposed product claims, key ingredient story, and feature & benefits summaries.
- Track and monitor new project-related tasks as delegated by Sr. Manager of Care PD and/or VP of PD.
- Collaborate with the cross functional team (Marketing, Operations, Global Health & Safety) to ensure products are brought to market on-time and on-budget.
- Interact directly with contract manufacturers and formulators to track projects and drive progress during the development process.
- Manage and report all clinical, sensory and consumer testing for products in development.
- Work with team to ensure compliance with all regulations.
- Ability to visit contract manufacturers to support technical transfer and/or launch production runs.
- Perform competitive research on new products, ingredient technologies, and competitive brand analysis to establish supporting data towards new products concepts.
- Attend industry events, trade shows and supplier meetings to stay abreast of current trends and technologies.
What you will bring to this role:
- Passion for the beauty/skincare consumer, market and industry trends
- Product development experience and acumen
- Driven to identify opportunities for creativity & innovation
- Excellent communication, organizational, and project management skills
- Ability to multi-task effectively in a fast-paced environment
- Team player attitude
- Experience in managing contract manufacturer and supplier relationships
- Effective cross-functional collaboration and communication skills
- Agility: capacity to manage regular timeline and fast track/opportunistic developments
- Creative problem-solving skills
- Commitment and passion for Beautycounter's mission
- Bachelor's degree required with an emphasis in Science or Business
- 5+ years of experience in the cosmetics/personal care industry.
At Beautycounter we are committed to creating a diverse environment and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Back to top