Principal Scientist, Environment Health and Safety
The Principal Scientist is responsible for managing the company's safety-related mission work, to help establish ingredient and product related safety guidelines from product ideation, formulation and production. Also serves as an environmental health and safety liaison for the company to ensure that ingredient safety information is understandable and accurate across all programs and channels.
- Work with Chief Scientific Officer to develop and deliver the strategy for our Beautycounter Formulation Compact.
- Develop and refine our company's Ingredient Selection process and overall chemical policy.
- Streamline Beautycounter's Ingredient Selection process through implementation of more automated and robust chemical hazard management strategies (already selected) to ensure faster, more accurate data entry and management.
- Perform in-depth ingredient safety evaluations during product development process.
- Develop Beautycounter standard for limits of inclusion of trace contaminants in final products and work with Operations team to develop standard operating procedures to increase transparency in our supply chain.
- Establish and oversee our research collaborations on ingredient and component testing (i.e. Hormone activity testing with Tufts School of Medicine; testing packaging for leachables of concern).
- Prepare and submit Chemical Footprint Project report on our company progress in reduction of chemicals of high concern in consumer products and and leadership in increasing transparency in our supply chain (in 2016, Beautycounter achieved the highest score of all companies surveyed for best practices in chemical management and public disclosure).
- Provide environmental, health and safety-related content to marketing, copy editors for web content, sales, product development and operations teams.
Advanced degree, preferably a PhD, in chemistry, green chemistry, biology, toxicology or other relevant discipline. The candidates experience, capabilities and passion must match our companys innovative spirit and commitment to making safer products.
- Excellent research and communication skills, fluency in spoken and written English.
- Experience conducting chemical reviews for companies, NGOs or government agencies.
- Experience in chemical hazard, exposure and risk assessment of individual chemicals and mixtures is required.
- Experience using and building databases with complex scientific information.
- Formal training in, or demonstrated familiarity with, the Principles of Green Chemistry.
- Must be comfortable with the balance of being precautionary and making real-time decisions that allow us to get high-performing products to market.
- Experience withor ability to learn and participate instructure activity relationship, QSAR, or other computational predictive models of hazard.
- Ability to think critically and on both micro and macro levels on all projects.
- Must be able to work with multiple stakeholders and communicate complex information in a clear, confident manner.
- Basic knowledge of US chemical regulations.
- Must be open-minded, respectful, driven.....
- Unwavering commitment to our social mission.
- Ability to work both independently and in a team environment.
Meet Some of Beautycounter's Employees
Founder and CEO
The Beautycounter brand is a force for change. Through both education and our unique direct retail model, we're more than a beauty brand. We're a movement.
Back to top