Director, Product Development - Color Cosmetics
- Santa Monica, CA
One by one, we are leading a movement to a future where all beauty is clean beauty. We are powered by people, and our collective mission is to get safer products into the hands of everyone. Formulate, advocate & educate- that's our motto for creating products that truly perform while holding ourselves to unparalleled standards of safety.
It's really this simple: Beauty should be good for you.
Our Director, Product Development - Color will be responsible for the conceptualization, initiation, development, evaluation and follow-through for Color Cosmetic product development and formula improvements in line with Beautycounter's Mission and “Never List”. You will also keep abreast of the latest trends to create disruptive innovation opportunities across the brand. You will collaborate cross-functionally to ensure the parameters of the product development time-line, budget and schedule are followed. You will manage, develop and inspire the product development expertise of direct and in-direct reports.
To be successful in this role you will:
- Manage, Coach and Mentor Color Product Development team members (2 team members), prioritizing multiple projects with a high level of detail in a fast paced, entrepreneurial environment.
- Lead new formula development and reformulations for assigned calendarized programs, ensuring development meets Beautycounter's mission and commitments to performance and safety
- In partnership with the Chief Artistic Officer and VP of Product Development, create disruptive product concepts that generate new opportunities for brand growth
- Establish strong partnerships with the internal cross functional team and external Contract Manufacturing Partners to ensure products are brought to market on-time and on-budget
- Ensure all programs have development briefs, strong ingredient and safety storytelling, product claims and master fact sheets
- As needed, manage and report all clinical, sensory and consumer testing for products in development
- Work with global product safety, social mission, regulatory affairs and quality teams team to ensure compliance with all regulations, safety standards and product quality standards
- Attend industry events, trade shows and supplier meetings to stay abreast of current trends and technologies
What you will bring to this role:
- Passion for the beauty/color cosmetics consumer, market and industry trends
- Commitment and passion for Beautycounter's mission
- Strong background in Color Cosmetics product development and working with contract manufacturers
- Team leadership experience
- Driven to identify opportunities for creativity & innovation
- Excellent communication, organizational, project management skills and internal/external partner collaboration
- Agility: capacity to manage regular time line and fast track/opportunistic developments
- Creative problem-solving skills
- Successful track record of working in a fast-paced environment
- Bachelor's degree required
- Advanced degree, preferably a MBA or MSc, in chemistry, green chemistry, biology
- 10+ years of consumer product management experience, with at least 8 years in cosmetics industry
At Beautycounter we are committed to creating a diverse environment and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Back to top