At Beautycounter, we go beyond clean to get safer beauty into the hands of everyone. Launched in 2013 as a direct-to-consumer beauty brand and acquired by the Carlyle Group in April 2021, we develop and distribute roughly 100 beauty products across skin care, makeup, and personal care, serving both the United States and Canada.
In addition to our Never List™, which excludes over 1,800 questionable ingredients from our formulations, we’ve established a rigorous set of safety standards for both our products and our manufacturing partners. And, through our advocacy efforts, we’ve helped introduce more health-protective legislation to the beauty industry.
Beautycounter is proud to be a Certified B Corporation that’s committed to more sustainable packaging, responsible sourcing, and a policy of total transparency. Awards include Fast Company's Most Innovative, Allure's Best of Beauty, Glamour's Beauty Awards, Refinery29's Innovators List, WWD's 2019 Best-Performing Beauty Company, and CNBC's Disruptor 50.
The Design Director will partner directly with the VP, Creative, to lead visionary brand storytelling that will drive awareness, conversion, and loyalty while creating a strong emotional connection with our community. This person will be the creator and guardian of the Beautycounter look and feel across all brand touchpoints—including all owned and paid channels. The ideal candidate will live and breathe design, be self-motivated, detail-oriented, and comfortable working in a collaborative, entrepreneurial environment. This role is both manager and maker and will require flexing executional excellence and conceptual thinking.
- Collaborate with the VP, Creative, and CMO to develop thoughtful, innovative, and omnichannel creative content and campaigns aligned with brand strategy and business objectives.
- Spearhead and evolve the Beautycounter’s visual output through a hands-on approach that inspires and advocates for creative excellence.
- Oversee strategy and execution for any/all materials requiring design, including brand marketing and advertising, social channels, email, website, Brand Advocate and Social Impact initiatives, and more.
- Ensure excellence in concept, design, photographic and video art direction, and campaign and evergreen execution to ensure visual consistency.
- Grow, mentor, and lead a team of designers, building thoughtful processes and strategies that allow them to successfully execute across all channels and initiatives.
- Work closely with cross-functional teams to create cohesive visual storytelling and to ensure cross-functional integration and strategic implementation of the Beautycounter look and feel.
- Collaborate with the VP, Creative, and Senior Director, Creative Operations and Production, to ensure all deliverables are executed within time and budget.
- Define the ever-growing vision for the design team—looking at every project, no matter the size/scope, as an opportunity to innovate, delight, and bring the brand to life.
- Develop standards, systems, and best practices to ensure that all creative is on-brand, consistent in terms of style and quality, and optimized for search and user experience.
- Stay on top of consumer and industry trends.
- Leverage market data and performance results to consistently iterate, evolve and innovate our strategies and execution—creating work that truly resonates and delivers on our business objectives.
- Lead with positivity and uphold a culture of teamwork and collaboration.
- 8-10 years of experience at a creative agency or in-house creative team with a multichannel focus.
- Creator of a strong and dynamic portfolio that showcases a wide array of integrated experience with both above-the-line and below-the-line initiatives.
- Are comfortable with every aspect of the design process, from research to pixel-perfect comps.
- Experience building, managing, and mentoring high-performing design teams.
- Effectively and efficiently coordinate multiple projects and manage prioritizations.
- Able to effectively partner with various key stakeholders and manage multiple projects at once.
- Excited by and thrive in a fast-paced, ever-evolving, and entrepreneurial environment.
- Curious and resourceful with a natural ability to solve problems and seek new information.
- Accessible to all team members and eager to solicit feedback.
- Work with a "no task is too small" attitude.
- Bachelor’s degree in art studies, Design, Advertising or related communications field.
- Experience with motion design is a plus!
- Ideal candidate is West Coast-based or willing to work standard business hours of 8:30am–5:30pm PT. This role will require infrequent travel to Los Angeles.
Pay: $117k-$162k for work locations in the United States, with individual pay determined by several factors including, but not limited to, job-related skills, experience, education, and training. Salary ranges are determined in good faith by role, level, and location. As a remote-eligible job, a narrower salary range for a candidate’s preferred location may be available.
Bonus: Additional compensation includes an annual discretionary bonus based on company and individual performance.
Benefits at Beautycounter:
- Medical, dental, vision insurance effective the 1st of the month following hire date
- Bc paid and supplemental life and AD&D insurance
- Bc contribution to HSA plan (if enrolled in HSA compatible plan)
- Healthcare and dependent care FSA
- Health & Wellness support for all employees (at no cost!) through Modern Health
- 401(k) plan with company match following 90 days of employment
- Unlimited Vacation for Exempt Associates (or 15 days Paid Time Off for Non-Exempt Associates)
- 14 Company Paid Holidays per year
- 20 hours of Paid Volunteer Time off per year
At Beautycounter we are committed to creating a diverse environment and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.