Head of Venture Product Development - Koru
We’re Koru. Welcome.
We have entered a decade of disruption of large corporate business models, driven by a steep change in the power of technology and the audacity and speed of start-ups. To be fit for the future, visionary companies are re-imagining themselves by injecting or challenging established models with new ideas fueled by technology. The Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan (“Ontario Teachers’”) and its 90+ portfolio of companies are partnering with BCG Digital Ventures’ (“BCGDV”) global ecosystem of start-ups and experts to own the next horizon of innovation.
With Ontario Teachers’, we are excited to launch Koru, an incubation platform designed to drive breakout growth by building a portfolio of new digital ventures across the private equity, infrastructure, and natural resources spaces. Koru will be the first true venture incubator formed by an institutional investor in North America. It will have a unique advantage in the market, marrying the resources of Ontario Teachers’, the methodology of BCG Digital Ventures, and the data, assets and market knowledge of 90+ world class companies.
Ontario Teachers’ is one of the world’s leading private equity and infrastructure investors with $190+ billion in net assets as at December 31, 2018. It pays pensions and invests on behalf of 327,000 working and retired teachers. Since its establishment as an independent organization in 1990, Ontario Teachers’ has built an international reputation for innovation and leadership in investment management and member services. It employs roughly 1,200 employees at its head office in Toronto, Canada and investment offices in London and Hong Kong. Koru will operate as an independent subsidiary of Ontario Teachers’, with a separate governance framework, team, and office in downtown Toronto.
Koru will work with many of Ontario Teachers’ 90+ portfolio companies around the world to generate ideas, validate and incubate them in market, and ultimately build new, innovative digital businesses that address customer frictions and take advantage of new opportunities across industries. We expect Koru to create game changing ventures while promoting a truly entrepreneurial mindset, and creating a culture of fearless reinvention. Koru will leverage its ‘unfair’ competitive advantage to create new sources of value for Ontario Teachers’ and the companies it works with.
Introducing our Venture Operations Teams:
Our Venture teams consist of world-class entrepreneurs, designers, engineers, and product and technology experts. Joining our remarkable multidisciplinary team will challenge you to push the boundaries of the industry, without the distractions of raising capital. If you have the passion, tenacity, and curiosity to build innovative businesses from the ground up, we invite you to join our mission.
Koru is seeking an exceptional, strategic and visionary product develop leader who will be responsible for the product development and UI/UX design on individual ventures. Our venture teams use cutting-edge and custom technologies to imagine, build and launch breakthrough digital businesses that disrupt markets and generate untold value for business and consumers alike.
In your role as Head of Venture Product Development you will:
- Develop Koru's methodology for product development and testing
- Lead teams to incubate and commercialize innovative, disruptive new products and services integrating all perspectives, especially the voice of the customer
- Work with Engineering to define scope of individual venture development efforts
- Define key performance indicators for venture outcomes and develop overall venture business models and operating plans
- Be a champion of the MVP concept, distilling the product down to what is desirable, viable and feasible
- Define go-to-market strategies for ventures during commercialization
- Create and manage work plans and budgets including the hiring, mentoring, performance management and staffing of project teams
- Serve in the capacity of General Manager on specific, cross-functional venture incubation teams and as the primary point of contact in client discussions
- Provide overall guidance and support to individual ventures in the areas of product management and design
- Define the vision, roles, responsibilities, and levels for the Product Development cohort
- Hire a high-performing team product managers and designers who can work on and launch multiple companies per year
- Cultivate a high performance culture within the team/cohort
- Oversee team of designers responsible for research and design thinking that balance customer frictions and needs with market viability, technical viability, and the corporate partner’s business goals
- Manage teams to ensure design is well integrated with technical characteristics and customer needs
- Ensure effective cross-team collaboration to deliver strategic value in line with design intent
- Contribute innovation & thought leadership
- Lead internal thought leadership on emerging technologies and applicability to portfolio companies
- Evaluate and identify appropriate technology platforms to drive growth, profitability and company value at portfolio companies
- Provide expert technical guidance to portfolio companies
Lead the overall Koru Product development and Design Cohort:
Drive GM & Venture Leadership:
Own Talent Management and Industry Relations:
Lead Overall Koru Design Cohort
As Head of Venture Product Development, you should have:
- Leadership Experience
- 5+ years of experience managing high preforming, cross-functional teams in a start-up environment
- Experience advising and launching multiple successful digital businesses
- Experience in developing complex digital business models
- Technical & Industry Expertise
- 10+ years of experience in product management, design, strategy development and business planning
- Ability to think strategically and creatively: analyze, synthesize, recommend and take actions
- Expert communication, presentation, and material preparation skills required
- A diligent attention to detail and strong technical intuition
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited educational institution
- An MBA or other advanced degree (preferred)
- Strong understanding of mobile and web technologies and industries
- A demonstrated and focused desire to build products and services that customers will love
- Working knowledge of agile development methodologies
To learn more, visit us at BCGDV.com.
Interested applicants may apply through the careers section of the website at https://www.bcgdv.com/. Interviews will take place after resumes have been screened for minimum requirements. Please note that this position is not restricted solely to the responsibilities listed above and that the job scope and responsibilities are subject to change.
BCG Digital Ventures is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under federal, state or local law
Back to top