Head of Engineering - Pet Insurance Startup
BCG Digital Ventures is an ever-growing global team of entrepreneurs, designers, engineers, venture architects, product experts and investors. We invent, build and invest in startups with the world’s most influential companies. The business ventures we create build strategic advantages for some of the most important global companies and help them own the next horizon of innovation.
ABOUT THE VENTURE:
Pets are family. Each pet is unique, with their own characters, quirks and needs. We should be focused on helping them thrive and live their best lives! Together with an industry leader in animal health we are building the future of pet health care.
We are uniquely positioned to disrupt the rapidly growing multi-billion dollar pet insurance and pet wellness industry by building the most robust support system for pets and their owners in times of good health, illness and emergency.
Through the application of cutting edge technology, product advantages and deep market relationships, we provide a truly tailored care experience delivered by our best in class distribution capabilities.
We are looking for an extraordinary leader who will lead the engineering effort of this disruptive startup.
You’re the technical driving force for the engineering team, being the crucial interface between business, product and design. You dive deep into technical architecture, manage stakeholders, communicate towards peers and leadership and lead the engineering activities for the company. At the same time, you still have a passion for coding and a hands-on attitude which helps you to guide and support other engineers to bring highest value to the stakeholders (consumers and teams within), with experience in distributed systems and scalable architecture and a great understanding of Front End technologies.
Building great software at web scale requires a multidisciplinary approach to engineering. It is far more important to be able to reason intelligently about complex problems, and apply experience to new domains than it is to know specifics about the latest technology buzzword. You’re not expected to be an expert in all languages, but you should be able to write code in several core development languages, have worked with the important frameworks and tools in a variety of platforms, and be willing to use your knowledge and experience in new domains.
As the Head of Engineering You Will:
- Liase with the company’s executive team and help drive its strategy
- Build a scaling product
- Define, articulate, and execute engineering strategy from launch to scale
- Build and lead a team of engineers, data scientists and product managers
- Define technical requirements and systems architecture with clarity on feasibility, time, cost, and impact
- Build the systems required for testing, trials, commercial launch, and beyond
- Constantly evaluate technological advancements and innovative solutions to drive continuous product improvement
- Implement best practice coding methodologies and tools
- Design and implement testing frameworks
- Gain and share insights with other leadership team members to continue improving the product and the business
- Take ownership over existing MVP features/ MVP production systems to grow and scale
- Effectively align resources to achieve key business priorities, including appropriate scope, and high quality / timely product releases
- Ensure all processes, services, and software comply with security and privacy regulations and other applicable laws such as PCI compliance and Insurance industry standards
- Continuously rebalance product / service features which maximize value and minimize effort to focus on the highest-returning initiatives
- Define and implement a consistent and repeatable process for quality assurance across all areas of organization and product build
- Know the latest modern technologies and selectively choose technologies to ensure our competitive advantage
- Hire and retain a multidisciplinary, elite engineering team
- Cultivate a high-performing, engineering-empowered culture
- Evangelize technical vision and strategy both internally and externally
- Be a strategic thought partner to the CEO, ensuring the right balance between prioritizing scaling the team and cost as well as between growing locally versus remotely
Drive Talent & Teams
Desired Expertise & Experience
- 10+ years architecting and building products from pre-launch through maturity
- Released (and maintained) at least 2 products to the market
- 7+ years building consumer-facing digital product experiences
- Startup experience in key engineering leadership positions at multiple high-growth technology companies
- Ability to stand up an organization and hire engineering talent
- An entrepreneurial spirit that is flexible, experimental, and resourceful
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal skills
- The current platform foundation has been build using React, Serverless, Python, Docker, AWS, Cloudformation
- Experience with some of the following is a plus: iOS, React, Serverless, Python, Kubernetes, Docker, AWS, Cloudformation, Kafka, amongst others
- Experience with backend/platform engineering, scaling performance engineering, security
- Cloud-native development and devops/CI/CD
To learn more, visit us at BCGDV.com.
Interested applicants may apply through the careers section of the website at https://www.bcgdv.com/. Interviews will take place after resumes have been screened for minimum requirements. Please note that this position is not restricted solely to the responsibilities listed above and that the job scope and responsibilities are subject to change.
BCG Digital Ventures is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under federal, state or local law
Back to top