Head of Engineering - Koru
We’re Koru. Welcome.
We have entered a decade of disruption of large corporate business models, driven by a steep change in the power of technology and the audacity and speed of start-ups. To be fit for the future, visionary companies are re-imagining themselves by injecting or challenging established models with new ideas fueled by technology. The Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan (“Ontario Teachers’”) and its 90+ portfolio of companies are partnering with BCG Digital Ventures’ (“BCGDV”) global ecosystem of start-ups and experts to own the next horizon of innovation.
With Ontario Teachers’, we are excited to launch Koru, an incubation platform designed to drive breakout growth by building a portfolio of new digital ventures across the private equity, infrastructure, and natural resources spaces. Koru will be the first true venture incubator formed by an institutional investor in North America. It will have a unique advantage in the market, marrying the resources of Ontario Teachers’, the methodology of BCG Digital Ventures, and the data, assets and market knowledge of 90+ world class companies.
Ontario Teachers’ is one of the world’s leading private equity and infrastructure investors with $190+ billion in net assets as at December 31, 2018. It pays pensions and invests on behalf of 327,000 working and retired teachers. Since its establishment as an independent organization in 1990, Ontario Teachers’ has built an international reputation for innovation and leadership in investment management and member services. It employs roughly 1,200 employees at its head office in Toronto, Canada and investment offices in London and Hong Kong. Koru will operate as an independent subsidiary of Ontario Teachers’, with a separate governance framework, team, and office in downtown Toronto.
Koru will work with many of Ontario Teachers’ 90+ portfolio companies around the world to generate ideas, validate and incubate them in market, and ultimately build new, innovative digital businesses that address customer frictions and take advantage of new opportunities across industries. We expect Koru to create game changing ventures while promoting a truly entrepreneurial mindset, and creating a culture of fearless reinvention. Koru will leverage its ‘unfair’ competitive advantage to create new sources of value for Ontario Teachers’ and the companies it works with.
Introducing our Venture Operations Teams:
Our Venture teams consist of world-class entrepreneurs, designers, engineers, and product and technology experts. Joining our remarkable multidisciplinary team will challenge you to push the boundaries of the industry, without the distractions of raising capital. If you have the passion, tenacity, and curiosity to build innovative businesses from the ground up, we invite you to join our mission.
Koru is seeking an exceptional, strategic and visionary engineering leader who will be responsible for the overall Koru Engineering Cohort, including the technical strategy for Kuro and direction on individual ventures. Our venture engineers use cutting-edge and custom technologies to imagine, build and launch breakthrough digital businesses that disrupt markets and generate untold value for business and consumers alike. Everyone has a passion for innovative and emerging digital solutions.
In your role as Head of Venture Engineering you will:
- Define the vision, roles, responsibilities, and levels for the engineering cohort
- Design and continuously improve Koru's approach to and methodology for engineering design and product development
- Build an efficient and agile end-to-end application infrastructure, with best practices in software delivery
- Work with the Product team to define scope of individual venture development efforts
- Effectively align resources to achieve key business priorities, including appropriate scope, and high quality and timely development
- Proactively mitigate business, operational and governance risks pertaining to technical development across Koru ventures
- Build out capable engineering and development functions within new businesses
- Serve in the capacity of General Manager on specific, cross-functional venture incubation teams and as the primary point of contact in client discussions
- Provide overall guidance and support to individual ventures in the areas of engineering
- Define the vision, roles, responsibilities and levels for the engineering cohort
- Establish a high performing, one-team engineering culture emphasizing innovation, growth, and development
- Hire a high-performing team of engineers who can develop and launch multiple products per year
- Effectively balance internal and outsourced engineering talent
- Lead internal thought leadership on emerging technologies and applicability to portfolio companies
- Evaluate and identify appropriate technology platforms to drive growth, profitability and company value at portfolio companies
- Provide expert technical guidance to portfolio companies
Lead the overall Koru Engineering Cohort, including the technical strategy for Kuro and direction on individual ventures:
Drive GM & Venture Leadership:
Own Talent Management and Industry Relations:
Contribute innovation & thought leadership:
As Head of Venture Engineering, you should have:
- 10+ years leading and scaling high growth start-ups in a technical capacity
- Proven track record of building and managing large, high caliber engineering/ developments teams from the ground up
- Experience managing engineering teams of 3 years or more, preferably at a high growth tech company
- 7+ years of software engineering experience of or more, with half of that time at a high growth tech company
- Proven track record of bringing highly-rated mobile and web applications to market in a startup environment
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited educational institution in a relevant technical discipline (e.g., computer science); advanced degrees preferred
- Significant knowledge of functional areas and trends (e.g., IoT, AI)
- Strong network in tech. to source engineering talent for Koru/new ventures
- Agile/Continuous integration/continuous deployment
- Middleware/ESB/software design patterns
- Big Data and analytics (3 years or more)
- IIoT/ IoT
- Cloud native software architecture
Technical & Industry Expertise
Experience with software best practices in:
Relevant technology experience in:
To learn more, visit us at BCGDV.com.
Interested applicants may apply through the careers section of the website at https://www.bcgdv.com/. Interviews will take place after resumes have been screened for minimum requirements. Please note that this position is not restricted solely to the responsibilities listed above and that the job scope and responsibilities are subject to change.
BCG Digital Ventures is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under federal, state or local law
Back to top