Finance Controller - Koru
We’re Koru. Welcome.
We have entered a decade of disruption of large corporate business models, driven by a steep change in the power of technology and the audacity and speed of start-ups. To be fit for the future, visionary companies are re-imagining themselves by injecting or challenging established models with new ideas fueled by technology. The Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan (“Ontario Teachers’”) and its 90+ portfolio of companies are partnering with BCG Digital Ventures’ (“BCGDV”) global ecosystem of start-ups and experts to own the next horizon of innovation.
With Ontario Teachers’, we are excited to launch Koru, an incubation platform designed to drive breakout growth by building a portfolio of new digital ventures across the private equity, infrastructure, and natural resources spaces. Koru will be the first true venture incubator formed by an institutional investor in North America. It will have a unique advantage in the market, marrying the resources of Ontario Teachers’, the methodology of BCG Digital Ventures, and the data, assets and market knowledge of 90+ world class companies.
Ontario Teachers’ is one of the world’s leading private equity and infrastructure investors with $190+ billion in net assets as at December 31, 2018. It pays pensions and invests on behalf of 327,000 working and retired teachers. Since its establishment as an independent organization in 1990, Ontario Teachers’ has built an international reputation for innovation and leadership in investment management and member services. It employs roughly 1,200 employees at its head office in Toronto, Canada and investment offices in London and Hong Kong. Koru will operate as an independent subsidiary of Ontario Teachers’, with a separate governance framework, team, and office in downtown Toronto.
Koru will work with many of Ontario Teachers’ 90+ portfolio companies around the world to generate ideas, validate and incubate them in market, and ultimately build new, innovative digital businesses that address customer frictions and take advantage of new opportunities across industries. We expect Koru to create game changing ventures while promoting a truly entrepreneurial mindset, and creating a culture of fearless reinvention. Koru will leverage its ‘unfair’ competitive advantage to create new sources of value for Ontario Teachers’ and the companies it works with.
Introducing our Koru Operations Team:
Our operations team is where organizational insight meets operational excellence. From human resources and information technology to marketing and finance, this highly collaborative cohort is the internal force that drives us forward. These one-of-a-kind problem-solvers direct our inner corporate structures with incomparable precision, profound analytic foresight and a deep commitment to world-class business services.
In your role as Financial Controller:
Koru is seeking an experienced, strategic and visionary Financial Controller who is capable of advising senior leaders on financial performance and driving results for our disruptive early and growth stage start-up initiatives.
The Financial Controller will be a key business partner for the leadership team, analyzing and advising across our finance functions (Commercial, FP&A and Investing). This person will be responsible for ensuring the appropriate finance controls and policies are in place across the organization, and should be a trusted advisor to our partners during commercial negotiations. This person will also nurture and develop Koru’s finance team, and evolve the function to meet the unique needs of our business and teams.
As Financial Controller, you will:
- Lead internal discussions and planning around near and long-term financial planning
- Proactively identify operational and cost opportunities to ensure risk mitigation, as well as key performance drivers to present analysis to leadership to drive meaningful action
- Present recommendations to improve profitability, efficiency, and effectiveness for the business
- Play a key role in the audit process and development of appropriate controls
- Develop and drive the company’s business performance management process to ensure key goals are met, including reporting and managing progress against the company’s KPIs
- Provide analytical support to ad-hoc decision-making (i.e. new business models)
- Coordinate and direct the preparation of the budget and financial forecasts and report variances
- Prepare and publish timely monthly financial statements
- Coordinate the preparation of regulatory reporting
- Research technical accounting issues for compliance
- Ensure quality control over financial transactions and financial reporting
- Comply with local, state, and federal government reporting requirements and tax filings
- Develop and document business processes and accounting policies to maintain and strengthen internal controls
As a Financial Controller, you should have:
- A degree in Finance, Accounting, other analytical discipline, or equivalent practical experience
- 5+ years of progressive accounting experience
- CPA highly desired, MBA a plus
- 5+ years of budgeting and forecasting experience, as well as working knowledge of financial accounting
- Strong business acumen and understanding of best practices across a wide range of business functions and processes
- Working experience with financial ERP systems, planning/reporting systems, and CRM systems
- Strong interpersonal and influencing skills to effectively drive collaboration and cross-functional efforts
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with experience delivering reporting and analysis to stakeholders
- Experience working in or auditing a Fund, technology or startup, SaaS company or software businesses
To learn more, visit us at BCGDV.com.
Interested applicants may apply through the careers section of the website at https://www.bcgdv.com/. Interviews will take place after resumes have been screened for minimum requirements. Please note that this position is not restricted solely to the responsibilities listed above and that the job scope and responsibilities are subject to change.
BCG Digital Ventures is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under federal, state or local law
Back to top