About the Organisation: BCG Digital Ventures
The world has entered a decade of disruption of large corporate business models, driven by a step change in the power of technology and the audacity and speed of start-ups. To be fit for the future, visionary companies will deliberately reimagine themselves by injecting or attacking established models with new ideas fuelled by technology. BCG Digital Ventures was founded to address this need. We are a corporate investment and incubation firm. We invent, build and invest in startups with the world’s most influential companies. We share risk and invest alongside our corporate and startup partners via a range of collaborative options.
Founded in 2014, we have major Innovation and Investment Centres in Manhattan Beach, Berlin, London, Sydney, San Francisco and New York, as well as DV Hatches in Silicon Valley Seattle and Mexico City, with more locations opening in the coming quarters. Our Centres and Hatches are home to a diverse range of entrepreneurs, operators and investors who are building businesses, creating and expanding markets and developing new technologies that benefit millions of people across the globe. Our Venture teams consist of world-class business leaders, designers, engineers, product specialists, and technology experts. Together, we are helping corporations own the next horizon of innovation.
The Berlin Centre was founded in 2014, and has grown from 20 employees at the end of 2014, to over 250 employees and a significant freelance workforce as of May 2018; servicing clients in Germany and the Nordics region.
Overview of the Role
Reporting to the Director of People & Operations, the Director of People & Talent will develop and execute a talent strategy to support the business strategy of DV in Berlin and the Nordics including employer value proposition, reward, performance management & development systems; as well as culture and engagement. They will build upon the foundations of a best-in-class HR function that is aligned to the strategic business agenda of DV and its ventures. They will be a trusted advisor and thought partner to the Director of People & Operations and the Managing Directors of the Berlin Office on all aspects of the people and talent agenda, and will provide sound advice and counsel to other leaders in the business. The Director of People & Talent will build trust in the HR function, and implement customer-centric HR processes which enable rapid growth. The Director will be a strong culture-carrier for organisation and must align with and embed DV’s core values in all they do and implement.
The Director should have familiarity either with significant segments of the client group, or with a professional services organisation. The client group will include DV Partners as well as the Directors of the Cohort Groups (Strategic Design, Product Management, Engineering, Venture Architecture, Experience Design, Growth and Operations). As such, the Director must have the empathic imagination and ability to relate to this unusually diverse talent pool. They will have strong stakeholder management skills and be able to work with stakeholders who sit at the nexus of corporate and start-up life. They will be equally at home acting as an HR Partner to executives who have reached the pinnacle of corporate life as they are with successful start-up entrepreneurs - all whom have chosen to come together to work as a close-knit team. They will have the credibility, gravitas, and cerebral horsepower to work with these demanding stakeholders, and be able to challenge the business constructively. They will develop a reputation for giving sound and pragmatic advice. Ultimately, success in the role will be down to personal effectiveness, and the ability to build relationships at all levels.
The bringing together of a professional services model with venture teams creates a dynamic environment unique to the DV business model. The Director of People & Talent will therefore need to quickly understand the way in which the confluence of these two organisational paradigms impacts HR policies and processes. In particular they must develop an appreciation for the ways in which the rhythm of venture activities impacts workforce planning across the business cycle. This workforce includes a significant freelancer community, which must be optimised within the confines of German employment Law. The Director of People & Talent will also act as a key liaison point between DV’s parent company, Boston Consulting Group on key HR and Legal agenda items. The Director will therefore evidence a dextrous mindset - able to develop frameworks and processes which are rigorous, yet able to flex in a dynamic and oftentimes ambiguous environment. People who are able to quickly grasp the agenda will be the most natural fit for the business.
The importance of being able to move seamlessly from the top-down strategic mode to hands-on execution mode cannot be under-estimated. The Director of People & Talent will lead and develop all HR activities in a medium-sized, high growth company and cannot be removed from the “day to day”. The successful candidate will have a preference for action and execution in a fast-paced environment - it is critical that the People & Talent leader is able to operate and think at pace. They will have strong organisational design and development experience, good talent and leadership credentials and be fully competent in all aspects of German employment law, practices in protocols. Further, the Director will have an interest in Digital Workplace and HR systems, and be a key decision-maker in future IT provisioning for the HR function, working in close partnership with the Office IT function. In addition to this subject matter expertise and content knowledge, they will be able to roll their sleeves up and execute on these initiatives.
Crucially, The Director of People & Talent will chair the Personal Growth Committee (“PGC”) which oversees the professional growth of all of DV Berlin’s employees. It is a powerful opportunity to set the development culture and agenda of the entire organization and deliver on DV’s mission and values, including to be a developmental focused organization. As PGC Chair the Director of People & Talents oversees the developmental planning and resources of DV’s employees to help them achieve their individual professional development goals and takes performance management decisions, including decisions on variable compensation, promotion, educational sponsorship and other rewards and developmental resources and opportunities.
The Director of People & Talent will be responsible for the leadership, line management and development of the People & Talent team and will be committed to the team’s development. The team is currently comprised of nine, although the target organisational structure will be developed in partnership with the Director of People & Talent - including 3-5 Managers. The post holder will be directly responsible for a budget of EUR 1 million, as well as jointly responsible for the compensation strategy and operations for all DV Berlin employees. The HR function currently includes HR Business Partners for DV’s Cohorts, L&D Specialists, a Personal Growth Specialist, Staffing and Payroll & Administration. The Director of People & Talent will play a player-coach role, and will be passionate about elevating people within their team to perform at their best. In addition to the HR team, DV also operates a ten-person Recruiting team, responsible for the talent acquisition for DV and its ventures. Regardless of the target organisational structure, the Director of People & Talent will need to align the talent acquisition function with the overall strategic landscape, with a particular focus on enabling all recruitment activities to be proactive and future-looking.
Role relevant Experience
- In-depth HR subject matter expertise and knowledge, commensurate with the accountabilities of this role. 10+ years’ experience in a relevant position including 5+ years of management experience ideally in a digital, technology or professional services firm.
- Experience across all of the fundamental HR domains, including: workforce planning and talent acquisition, talent management, leadership development, HR systems, industrial/ employee relations, change & transformation management and reward. Proven experience designing and implementing HR initiatives from scratch including but not limited to Capacity Planning, Performance Management, Employee Learning and Development, Total Reward, Culture and Engagement
- Proven experience in scaling HR systems and processes in a medium-sized company (250+ employees); senior HR leadership experience in a highly people-centric business (preferably digital / technology or professional services)
- Exceptional strategic and creative problem solving skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- Ability to prioritize and manage complexity in a fast paced and demanding environment
- Strong interpersonal skills, ability to build excellent working relationships with senior stakeholders and across geographically dispersed teams
- Strong customer service orientation
- May require flexible working hours, e.g. occasional evening events
- Adaptability, flexibility and the ability to manage multiple and competing deadlines
Preferred but not essential
- Previous experience in a startup environment
- Excellent understanding of skills and understanding of client facing roles (Strategic Design, UI / UX, Engineering, Product Management)
- Fluency in German
- Experience in German employment law
- Ideally, previous experience in the startup, or alternatively, a high-growth environment
- Familiarity with the client group (strategic design, UI/UX, Engineering, Product Management)
Overview of Role Expectations
- People Strategy
- Define People Strategy that enables and delivers on DV Berlin and DV Nordic commercial targets; align Strategy with Regional Operating Committee (ROC), define KPIs and measure and report to ROC on quarterly basis
- Ensure alignment (with Recruiting) on our employee value proposition and ensure initiatives deliver on these promises
- Refine role descriptions, competencies, skills, behaviours and expertise for all cohorts in line with DV globally and ensure all team members are clear on and what's expected of them
- Evolve compensation model (including salary, bonuses, benefits) in collaboration with DV globally and BCG locally to ensure that the required talent is attracted and retained
- Collect and share competitive benchmarks with local and global team
- Ensure hiring falls within the agreed model; ensure exceptions are vetted and signed off
- Oversee HR initiatives; ensure alignment to employer value proposition and the promises we have made to the team
- People planning, Capacity Mgmt, Reporting
- Drive (with DV Berlin Finance) the capacity (people) planning process for commercial and operational teams
- Ensure effective interface with DV Berlin and Nordics Recruiting to ensure aligned EVP, policies, practices and excellent experience for new employees
- Provide visibility to local and global finance hiring status on an ongoing basis to ensure targets and parameters are met
- Design and implement staffing reporting and monitoring efforts including ensuring staffing processes and policies meet business needs as well as employee development goals
- Interface with other DV Centers and BCG Mobility to help optimize capacity and utilization levels
- Support ROC and senior leaders in evolution of culture of DV Berlin and Nordics to enable communication of cultural values and concepts, and the monitoring and shaping of the culture over time
- Support evolution (with DV global) of tech, general and leadership competencies needed to support business strategy
- Evolve (with DV global), implement and coordinate the execution of a performance evaluation and employee development model to enable fair performance assessment and effective career development
- Ensure transparent communication with employees on individual performance, progress against development goals
- Ensure culture and processes that enable employee development including informal feedback
- Onboarding and Training
- Oversee the design, implementation, execution and evolution of on-boarding for new hires to ensure quick and seamless start; ensure team leverages existing DV best practices and share with global team new innovations
- Oversee development (with DV global) a DV training curriculum and ensure fit for purpose for DV Berlin
- Help establish a Culture of Feedback to ensure on-the-job learning and enable professional developmental goals
- Support other internal initiatives (e.g., leadership development, mentorship programs etc)
- Employee Experience and Engagement
- Ensure effective HR Business Partnering to senior leaders to ensure effective strategic advisory and risk management
- Provide efficient and effective services to employees with fit-for purpose structure, resourcing, processes and tools including effective change management from current to future state
- Oversee regular engagement measurement and reporting; advise ROC and leaders on action plan; measure results
- Lead business in crisis response and employee termination situations
- Oversee processes to ensure feedback loops are incorporating into business and people strategy (e.g. exit interviews)
- People Policies and Operations
- Coordinate with local BCG HR, Finance (providing payroll support) and Legal functions to ensure efficient HR processes
- Define and regularly review people policies and share best practice in developing world class, consistently applied DV people policies and processes
- Oversee efficient and accurate People Operations and systems: contracts, HRIS, visas, employment confirmations, etc
- People Management
- Manage People and Talent team to high performance and specified outcomes
- Support the leadership team with performance management and HR advice as needed.
- Ensure direct reports receive regular and ongoing feedback against set KPIs and Goals, and that your team receive appraisals on an annual basis in line with the DV processes
What we offer:
- International and interdisciplinary teams working on ventures for the world's leading companies
- Opportunity to gain relevant experiences in building companies across different industries
- Regular office and team events as well as constant exchange in the Berlin startup scene
- Individual learning opportunities and a personalized mentoring program
- Modern office in the vibrant heart of Berlin
- Relocation assistance for internationals and free German language courses
- In-house health and wellness initiatives, i.e. yoga, massage sessions, organic fruits, etc.
Does this match your profile? If so, we look forward to receiving your application, preferably in English.
BCG Digital Ventures is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under federal, state or local law.
After clicking “Apply”, you will be asked to submit your contact details and resume/CV. To read how BCG Digital Ventures GmbH processes your information, click here. Processing is based on your consent and you may withdraw it at any time.