Junior Legal Counsel
It's an exciting time to work at Baylis Medical! We are a rapidly-growing global leader in the development, manufacturing and distribution of high-tech medical devices that improve the lives of people around the world.
Baylis is based out of Mississauga, Ontario and has offices in Montreal, the United States, the United Kingdom and Germany. The addition of a new state-of-the-art Innovation Centre in Mississauga will allow us to develop new technologies in the fields of cardiology, radiology and spine, while creating hundreds of new Mississauga-based jobs.
At Baylis, we are committed to four guiding principles: technological leadership, employee development, customer service and corporate social responsibility. We are looking for talented people who share our vision and values. Are you ready to join us?
Please note this role is 12 month contract with a potential for contract renewal or permanency based on business opportunity and/or performance.
As a member of the Legal Affairs team, the Junior Legal Counsel will oversee the legal aspects of the business. The Junior Legal Counsel will safeguard the company's reputation by guaranteeing that the company follows legal guidelines in a variety of areas, with a focus on contracts and other legal documentation. The Junior Legal Counsel will be able to provide sound legal advice to management but also be able to step back and consider the bigger business picture. The Junior Legal Counsel will ensure legal compliance and minimize risk to the business.
Snapshot of Responsibilities:
- Support department with contracts, submissions and document review.
- Draft and solidify agreements, contracts and other legal documents to ensure the company's full legal rights
- Advise and provide counsel on legal and compliance matters, identify potential issues and make necessary recommendations.
- Collaborate well with others and support other departments as requested.
- Implement legal best practices.
- Apply effective risk management techniques and offer proactive advice on possible legal issues
- Deal with complex matters with multiple stakeholders and forces
- Provide clarification on legal language or specifications to everyone in the organization
- Conduct your work with integrity and responsibility
- Maintain current knowledge of legislative changes in areas of law that impact business
- Partnering as necessary with outside counsel in both Canada and the U.S.
- Comply with the Health & Safety policies of the company and inform management of unsafe working conditions
- Other duties as assigned.
What you bring to the team
- LL.B or J.D. degree (or equivalent, foreign competence)
- Proven experience as a legal counsel in business environment; in-house would be an asset
- Proven experience at drafting and review of contracts and other legal documentation
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of corporate law and Intellectual Property and procedures
- Full comprehension of the influences of the external environment of a corporation
- Demonstrated ability to create legal defensive or proactive strategies
- High degree of professional ethics and integrity
- Sound judgement and ability to analyse situations and information
- High proficiency in the English language.
- Outstanding communication skills
- Opportunity for growth
- Competitive salary and benefits
- RRSP matching
- Flexible start times
- On site gym facility
While we thank all applicants, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.
Meet Some of Baylis Medical's Employees
Staff R&D Engineer
Linus and his team develop new medical devices, overseeing and reviewing the technical challenges involved while also communicating with other departments in order to get products to market.
Back to top