Behavioral Health Specialist
- Tucson, AZ
Those who have joined the Banner mission come from all walks of life, united by the common goal: Make health care easier, so life can be better. If changing health care for the better sounds like something you want to be part of, we want to hear from you.
Banner University Medical Center - South Campus,houses the only Level1 AcademicMedical Center in Tucson meeting the needs of the SMI population. The Behavioral Health Pavilionis alsothe largest inpatient psychiatricservice in Southern Arizona. Our teamprovides patients a safe, supportive environment that fosters healing and facilitates a return to the highest possible level of independence. Other services include;crisis stabilization, psychiatric assessments, 24-hours psychiatric & nursing care, expressive arts therapy, group therapy, family support therapy,medication managementand aseparate behavioral health unit within the Emergency Department. You can become an integral member of our patient's team, along with psychiatric doctors, NPs, pharmacists, expressive art therapists, Registered Nurses and security officers.
As a Behavioral Health Specialist youwill focus on safety checks, assisting in ADL's, Milieu management, falls prevention measures, and 1 on 1 observations.This position is for a Full-time Night Shift Opening in Behavioral Health!The hours will be from 7:00pm - 7:30amfor 3 shifts per week which will include weekends and holidays on a rotating basis. This position offers a weekend schedule which is eligible for a flat rate $1/hour weekend shift differential and an 18% Night Shift differential.
Your pay and benefits (Total Rewards) are important components of your Journey at Banner Health. Banner Health offers a variety of benefit plans to help you and your family. We provide health and financial security options so you can focus on being the best at what you do and enjoying your life.
This position provides direct care to psychiatric patients working under the direction of a registered nurse.
1. Provides basic nursing care to patients including technical monitoring, taking vital signs and physical care. Orients patients to treatment setting and assists with activities of daily living as needed. Reviews and participates in implementation of the patient treatment plan. Makes rounds and monitors patients activities, physical and mental status and reports to nursing staff. Checks patient belongings for contraband. Conducts a variety of patient safety monitoring activities such as observational checks. Documents observations, interventions, and group activities in the patient medical record while maintaining confidentiality of all health information.
2. Assists in maintaining a safe, orderly & therapeutic environment. Maintains patient safety and protects patient rights through observation and reporting patient behaviors, communications, interactions and physical status. Recognizes patients who are behaving aggressively, acting as a danger to themselves or others, or are in a crisis or medical emergency situation. Provides intervention including, but not limited to, redirecting of patient and/or participating in restraint or seclusion as needed.
3. Assesses and interacts therapeutically with patients and families. Provides treatment that promotes patient dignity, independence, individuality, strengths, privacy, and choice. Demonstrates respect for cultural diversity and patient boundaries. Plans and facilitates social and didactic group activities. May participate in other rehabilitation and treatment programs.
4. Provides quality patient care by maintaining knowledge and skill level related to the symptoms and treatment of behavioral disorders relevant to position responsibilities and in accordance with state agency regulations. Maintains knowledge to identify types of medications commonly prescribed for patient group and the common side effects and adverse reactions of the medications.
5. Assists in the admission, discharge and transfer process of patients and completes required documentation in the patient medical record.
6. Position completes work under moderate supervision. Position interacts with all levels of clinical staff on assigned unit/program and members of the multidisciplinary teams, as well as patients, families, and medical and psychiatric physicians.
Requires a Bachelor's Degree in a behavioral health related field OR High School diploma or equivalent with 1 year of direct patient care in an inpatient behavioral health setting. This should include but is not limited to experience in an inpatient psychiatric facility; assisting with personal grooming and other activities of daily living; conducting educational, recreational and skills groups appropriate to current patient population; creating, maintaining, and encouraging an inpatient therapeutic milieu; maintaining observation precautions and applying non-violent de-escalation interventions in crisis situations; recognizing the common symptoms of mental illness such as depression, psychosis, mood dysregulation, substance abuse, maladaptive behavior, and anxiety; understanding how symptoms are related the patient's mental illness diagnosis and providing ordered treatment interventions appropriate to the diagnosis. Such experience is commonly achieved in care of patients in psychiatric acute care hospitals, inpatient psychiatric facilities and State hospital programs. Some outpatient programs, therapeutic group home and residential programs may meet the experience criteria. Concentration on skills and experiences demonstrating competence in building therapeutic rapport, developing collaborative relationships with the multidisciplinary team, de-escalation techniques and limit setting. Employees working at Banner Behavioral Health Hospital must possess an Arizona Fingerprint Clearance Card at the time of hire and maintain the card for the duration of their employment.
Basic Life Support (BLS) certification is also required.
Meets age requirement as specified by state agency.
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
DATE APPROVED 06/16/2019
Back to top