Transportation Reporter and Blogger
Position at BankRate.com
Bankrate is looking for a great reporter and blogger to educate consumers on all aspects of transportation: From buying a car to a boat to saving for Space-X or a rocketpack, we want you to report on everything consumers need to know about spending money to move around. Ideal candidates will have passion for all things automotive.
You will cover the topics related to transportation and finance and write engaging and interesting stories and blogs to broad digital audiences across multiple platforms — all while breaking exclusive news from the beat.
You must have experience writing for consumers and must clearly understand and closely follow the transportation and all related industries, products related to financing transportation and issues facing owners of cars, boats, airplanes and beyond.
You must have at least 2 years of experience at a professional media outlet.
Our staff includes award-winning writers and editors who have passion for personal finance. Together, we want to help readers navigate life’s financial journey. We want you to be or evolve as the authority on transportation. We want you to have a passion for the subject and be willing to give advice and share your experiences with readers. And we want you to have a passion for great, innovative storytelling across any platform, with the desire to keep learning and improving.
The position can be based Palm Beach Gardens, Florida, New York City or Washington, DC.
- Actively follow the transportation industry and cultivate relationships and sources.
- Respond quickly to breaking news and thrive under pressure.
- Evaluate website metrics to make content decisions.
- Pitch trending story topics and continually look for ways to push breaking and/or viral stories forward with new angles.
- Write stories, blogs and related content.
- Demonstrate versatility to turn around story ideas very quickly and explore complex topics in long-form enterprising work.
- Must be comfortable adapting to changes in evolving industry.
- Demonstrate knowledge of SEO best practices and AP style.
- Represent Bankrate as a spokesperson in Bankrate videos and to other media.
- Digital media/online reporting experience.
- Excellent reporting and writing skills.
- Knowledge of transportation industry.
- Thorough understanding of personal finance.
- 2 years’ experience as a reporter/writer.
- Strong knowledge of AP style.
- Experience with basic HTML and web-based CMS.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- Currently active in social media.
- Knowledge of SEO in relation to content.
To apply, please include resume, cover letter, relevant links and 3-5 examples of work that demonstrates you can take interesting, unique or fun angles to content. The applications should be digital in their orientation and delivery.
Back to top