Senior Data Engineer
Position at BankRate.com
What we do:
Bankrate.com’s Data Engineering team is responsible for designing, building and implementing world-class storage solutions and data pipelines to aggregate, model and organize high-volume structured and unstructured data across multiple data sources, making the data available for use across the Enterprise.
What we are looking for:
We are looking for a data engineer with practical, hands-on experience of modern data architectures and tools such as data warehousing, ETL/ELT, RDBMS, NoSQL, cloud platforms and machine learning frameworks. You should be driven to provide quality solutions to challenging problems in a small team functioning in an Agile environment.
What you will do:
You will work closely with business analysts, data scientists, software engineers and database developers to design, build and implement next-generation data solutions. At the core of this is the continued development of the Enterprise Data Warehouse and its ecosystem such as streaming and batch processing pipelines. These pipelines will also include advanced analytical processes using machine learning to support reporting, alerting and decision processes and tools. Finally, you will also be responsible for building data sources used in Tableau, Excel or other BI tools and the creation and maintenance of data dictionaries for these published data sources.
- At least 5 years of professional software and database development experience
- Excellent grasp of data warehousing, specifically Kimball’s dimensional design approach and data modeling for transactional databases
- Excellent track record of implementing ETL/ELT use cases and patterns at scale in a production environment
- Strong SQL skills – ability to write efficient queries and optimize existing queries as well as be well versed in both aggregate and analytical SQL queries (e.g., windowing functions)
- Proven ability in translating business requirements into functional data models
- Experience in at least two of the following languages, expertise in at least one:
- C#, Java, Python or Scala
- Familiar with the AWS toolchain e.g., EC2, S3, EMR as well as development experience with AWS Lambda
- Ability to communicate effectively with stakeholders to define requirements
- Familiarity working with relational, or NoSQL, or columnar data stores
- Some experience with one or more of the following:
- Big data/NoSQL topologies: Hadoop, Cassandra, Mongo, Hive, Spark, etc.
- Reporting: SSRS, Tableau, Looker, Sisense, Bime etc.
- Predictive analytics: R, Python, statistics, modeling etc.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Statistics or related discipline
Back to top