Position at CreditCards.com
CreditCards.com, the leading source of information on credit, debt and payment issues, is seeking to fill an important lead editor position on its award-winning editorial staff.
CreditCards.com needs an extraordinary Managing Editor who, by using the talents of on-staff and freelance writers, conceptualizes and executes online stories about credit cards and credit-related issues from a consumer standpoint. The editor is expected to have all the writing, judgment and ethical skills of a traditional journalist, plus the ability to use the Web’s interactive storytelling abilities to the fullest. We want someone who knows a great story when he or she sees it, and then has the Web skills to choose the most appropriate way of telling that story, and then tell it.
This position will report to the editor-in-chief. The job is full-time, with full benefits, and located in Austin, Texas. Pay is at a competitive level and will be based on experience and skill set.
RESPONSIBILITIES include, but are not limited to:
- Manage staff writer(s), providing editorial direction, assignment supervision and coaching.
- Budgetary responsibilities for freelance spend.
- Conceptualize, assign, edit and quality-check feature articles.
- Load and publish through a custom content management system.
- Conceptualize, assign, edit and quality-check video content.
- Collaborate with multimedia producer to execute the most effective online story telling techniques.
- Recruit and develop a talented stable of freelance writers and videographers to perform assignments.
- Manage presentation of and perform quality checks on assigned landing, index and archive pages.
- Oversee and manage special editorial projects.
- Develop expertise in credit issues and share that expertise with others.
- Write compelling blurbs and headlines, adhering to AP style.
- Communicate effectively to editorial staff and other departments.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Experience with Personal Finance
- News experience
- Online experience
- Digital and content experience
- Working knowledge of AP Style, HTML, CSS, CS5, RSS feeds, SEO, keywords, analytics tools, social media (Twitter, Facebook), blogging, video production and various multimedia illustration software
- Formal journalism training plus online publishing experience
- 3+ years mid- to senior-level editorial supervisory experience
- Project management skills
- Extraordinarily high writing skills
- The ability to embrace and manage change
- A coaching attitude toward staff and freelancers
- Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university
- Professional certifications, awards and affiliations are highly valued
- An entrepreneurial spirit and an initiative-taking attitude are most welcome
- Flexible PTO
- Full medical, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance
- 401(k) with employer contributions of 3% fully vested immediately
- Fully stocked kitchen(with snacks and drinks), foosball, and more
PLEASE NOTE: We are looking for candidates who are not currently on any type of work Visa.
Principals Only: No Third Party Agencies/Recruiters please.
Meet Some of Bankrate.com's Employees
Client Service Representative
As a client service representative, it’s Andy’s job to make sure Bankrate’s advertising clients stay happy as he troubleshoots their campaigns and works with the customer retention program.
Back to top