Position at Bankrate.com
Are you passionate about complex, highly scalable software systems? Do you enjoy coming up with solutions to challenging business problems? Do you enjoy collaborating with the stakeholders to improve and grow the company’s products? Do you thrive in an environment where cross-functional, self-organizing agile teams are constantly experimenting to improve the product? If so, then we just might have the perfect job for you!
Bankrate.com is looking for a talented, result oriented, innovative software engineer to join our Consumer Engineering team, responsible for building for designing, developing and modifying website solutions and services.
In addition to building solutions that can hold up to the scale & growth of our business, our team of engineers work collaboratively with the business leaders to come up with innovative solutions to grow the business. We believe in software craftsmanship and that there is real value in developing software so that it can be easily understood, maintained, and extended. At Bankrate.com we are all about team work, accountability, innovation, and a customer-first approach. We work hard, but do so in a collaborative, fun and flexible work environment.
As a member of the team, you will have the opportunity to work on mission critical projects with direct impact on the evolution of our business. You will be able to apply your programming skills towards building a highly performant website that serves millions of visits a day, managed by several stakeholders, consumes multiple 3rd party services, generates millions of events, and is monitored 24×7. We constantly explore new technologies and engineer better solutions for ever demanding business needs.
Located in Palm Beach Gardens, Bankrate has a fresh, fun, and creative environment you won’t find anywhere else. If you have a strong will to learn and educate and are motivated by opportunity to help grow our team, then we’d love to hear from you!
- Lead engineering initiatives by collaborating with other developers and product owners to solve technical issues
- Champion new technologies within the organization by researching and choosing the best tools for the job
- Measure and verify that new and old code has acceptable performance and scalability
- Designs, modifies, develops, writes, tests and implements software.
- Take ownership and responsibility of the work at hand and shepherding code through to production.
- Building a scalable, robust and reliable infrastructure to support our website and services.
- Collaborate with product owner, scrum master, and other developers to deliver a quality product.
Requires strong object-oriented design and development skills
Frameworks: Laravel, Lumen, Wordpress, Node.js
Knowledge and experience with third party libraries, frameworks, and technologies is a plus.
Database: MySQL, Postgres
Analysis & Problem Solving: Ability to understand our codebase, system interactions and business requirements to effectively make changes to our applications and investigate issues.
Communication: Ability to use various communication forums to effectively communicate. Whether via face-to-face discussion, phone, email, chat, white-boarding, or other collaboration platforms, must be an effective communicator who can inform, explain, enable, teach, persuade, coordinate, etc.
Team Collaboration: Ability to effectively collaborate and share ownership of team’s codebase and applications. Must demonstrate willing to fully engage in team efforts, speak up for what you think are the best solutions, and be able to converse respectfully and compromise when necessary.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Developing services such as REST, SOAP and API services.
- Developing custom Wordpress themes and plugins.
- Experience with testing
- Unit Testing, Test Driven Development, Integration Testing, Load Testing, Test Automation, Consumer Driven Contract Testing
- Agile Engineering Practices
- Test Driven Development, Pair Programming, Continuous Integration, Refactoring
- Expert knowledge of OOP principles and practices as well as Design Patterns, SOLID principles
- Experience with various tools
Technical Experience: 7 or more years of software development experience.
Education: BS/MS degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a related subject is a plus.
- Develops innovation strategies, processes and best practices.
- Leads and participates in medium- to large-scale, complex, cross-functional projects.
- Leads the discovery phase of medium to large projects to come up with high level design.
- Promotes and supports company policies, procedures, mission, values, and standards of ethics and integrity.
- Troubleshoots business and production issues.
- Owns the technical testing and performance plans for their projects.
- Utilizes industry research to improve Bankrate technology environment.
- Driven by “What can I do to help here?” attitude, rather than the “That’s not my problem” mentality.
- Has the desire to simplify instead of making things more complex.
- Looks at the big-picture: understands the impact his/her piece of software implementation has on the whole product.
- Has good communication skills: communicates effectively with the team and clients to understand business requirements.
- Can function as part of a team: able to fit in the team’s culture and exchanges thoughts, ideas, knowledge and experience with other team members to boost efficiency and quality of the solution.
- Mentors others instead of coding in a black box.
- Is able to start a project with limited requirements and refine them by asking questions or talking with business people.
- Has a good understanding and knowledge of the domain and environment they work in.
- Reviews/understands requirements and questions requirements in a productive manner.
- Constantly improving themselves through training, research, and learning.
- Is willing and ready to take one or more roles in a team and is able to switch his/her roles when required.
- Is adaptive: able to adapt as a result of changes in requirements for a continuous improvement of a software.
- Works overtime to meet committed deadlines.
- Is accountable for the work their team produces.
Meet Some of Bankrate.com's Employees
Client Service Representative
As a client service representative, it’s Andy’s job to make sure Bankrate’s advertising clients stay happy as he troubleshoots their campaigns and works with the customer retention program.
Back to top