Lead Data Engineer
Position at Wallaby
Wallaby Financial is seeking an experienced big data engineer to act as a Lead for the team. We help people get the most out of their money through smart credit card recommendations and are looking for someone to enhance that experience by creating new reporting systems, data models, and analytics tools across large data sets.
Our rapid growth requires an experienced engineer to help us to continue to deliver award-winning financial services technology solutions at scale. You'll be a key team member developing solutions that utilize the growing scale of financial data we manage in our platform. We expect you to be capable of acting as a full project owner and collaborate with our platform, mobile, and product teams as well as business intelligence stakeholders across our partners.
About the Role:
- Own and drive complex technical projects from the planning stage through execution
- Work as hands-on data modeler and ad-hoc data analyst when needed
- Work on data access APIs and server-to-server batch transmissions
- Work to produce regular automated reports on complex and disparate data sets
- Work with DBAs and DevOps to ensure proper scaling and monitoring of various data stores
- At least 4 years experience building complex back-end data systems with at least two years of focus on modern open source NoSQL technologies (Redis and Hadoop a plus)
- At least 4 years experience with Java or similar object-oriented language
- Extensive use of Open Source software
- Experience with schema modeling and large-scale migrations of databases
- Experience with APIs and caching paradigms for CRUD queries at scale to abstract a service layer from its underlying DAO/DB (Spring, Hibernate, Memcache a plus)
- Experience with large scale logfile aggregation and analysis for trends, errors, and data insights
- Experience with data pipelines from raw logs through continuous processing to visual reports
- Experience with virtual cloud automation (AWS, Chef, Docker, etc.)
- Experience collaborating with Operations teams to ship large-scale data solutions
- Solid understanding of DevOps philosophy
- Solid understanding of the data and operational complexities around consistency, job monitoring, failover, and archive retention.
- Roots in technology, working on development teams
- Experience working within an agile environment
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Wallaby Financial helps consumers get the most out of their credit cards by optimizing usage based on individual preferences.
- Wallaby is available for your smartphone, your web browser, and your wearable devices.
- Wallaby Financial Inc. is a subsidiary of Bankrate, Inc. (NYSE: RATE).
This position is located in Pasadena, CA.
- Flexible PTO
- Full medical, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance
- 401(k) with employer contributions of 3% fully vested immediately
- Fully stocked kitchen(with snacks and drinks), foosball, and more
PLEASE NOTE: We are looking for candidates who are not currently on any type of work Visa.
Principals Only: No Third Party Agencies/Recruiters please.
Meet Some of Bankrate.com's Employees
Client Service Representative
As a client service representative, it’s Andy’s job to make sure Bankrate’s advertising clients stay happy as he troubleshoots their campaigns and works with the customer retention program.
Back to top