Editor - Points and Miles
Position at The Points Guy
Founded by Brian Kelly in 2010, The Points Guy is a travel and lifestyle site reaching over 3.3m unique readers around the world each month. Brian and his growing staff of writers and editors keep readers up to date on points, travel news, deals and help readers make best use of credit card points and miles. Owned by publicly traded BankRate, The Points Guy looking to hire a Senior Points and Miles Editor.
As Senior Editor – Points and Miles for The Points Guy, you will be responsible for assigning, writing and editing news, columns and feature articles covering credit cards, airlines, hotels, loyalty programs and personal finance trends. We need someone who can identify timely topics and develop stories with original, on-brand angles, with a quick (often same-day) turnaround. If number crunching and “doing the math” sounds like fun to you, then this is your kind of position. In all cases, the position requires strong social media savvy to promote articles, and excellent judgment. The position reports directly to the editor-in-chief. Some travel required.
- Identify points and miles-related stories and assigns or writes articles quickly — often within hours
- Manage freelance writers
- Source photos, crop as needed, and add to Wordpress (our CMS)
- Fact check all stories before publishing
- Develop social media promotional copy for Facebook, Twitter, etc.
- Liaise with PR agencies and press contacts as needed
- Attend editorial meetings and industry events
- Converse with team over Slack 24/7
- Measure and report traffic
- 3-5+ years experience as a full-time writer and editor (some editing experience is required)
- Expert knowledge of travel/points/frequent-flyer programs/credit cards (a must)
- Ability to write, self-edit and publish a ~300-word news post in 30 minutes
- Superb attention to detail, even under deadline
- Familiarity with Adobe Omniture & Google Analytics (and/or Parsely)
- Strong sense of urgency, ability to manage details and projects while responding to changing priorities and feedback
- Familiarity with social media best practices (Facebook and Twitter)
- MS Word, Excel, Adobe Photoshop
- Sense of humor
- Love of travel
- Video savvy is a plus.
Meet Some of Bankrate.com's Employees
Client Service Representative
As a client service representative, it’s Andy’s job to make sure Bankrate’s advertising clients stay happy as he troubleshoots their campaigns and works with the customer retention program.
Back to top