Editor - Nights and Weekends
Position at The Points Guy
Founded by Brian Kelly in 2010, The Points Guy is a travel and lifestyle site reaching over 3.3m unique readers around the world each month. Brian and his growing staff of writers and editors keep readers up to date on points, travel news, deals and help readers make best use of credit card points and miles. Owned by publicly traded BankRate, The Points Guy looking to hire a Nights & Weekends Editor.
As Nights & Weekends Editor for The Points Guy you will be responsible for covering news — travel, aviation, credit cards, and various lifestyle topics — during weekday evenings (5-10pm) and on weekends (10am-6pm Saturday and Sunday). This position has a lot of autonomy; we need someone who can identify news topics and turn them into exciting articles quickly, often without a top editor. When news is slow, the Nights & Weekends Editor will assign, edit, write and produce feature articles. In all cases, the position requires strong social media savvy to promote articles — and excellent judgment. The position reports directly to the editor-in-chief. Some travel required. This position is remote (work from home).
- Identify relevant news stories and assign or write articles quickly — within hours
- Manage freelance writers
- Source photos, crop as needed, and add to Wordpress (our CMS)
- Fact check all stories before publishing
- Promote stories on social media platforms: Facebook, Twitter, etc.
- Liaise with PR agencies and press contacts
- Attend editorial meetings, occasionally during regular 9-5 hours
- Converse with team over Slack
- Measure and report traffic
- 3-5+ years experience as a full-time writer or editor
- Familiarity with social media best practices (Facebook and Twitter)
- Knowledge of travel/points/frequent-flyer programs/credit cards (a must)
- Ability to write, self-edit and publish a ~300-word news post in 30 minutes
- Superb attention to detail even under deadline
- Familiarity with Adobe Omniture & Google Analytics (and/or Parsely)
- Strong sense of urgency, ability to manage details and projects while responding to changing priorities and feedback
- MS Word, Excel, Adobe Photoshop
- Sense of humor
- Love of travel
- Video savvy is a plus
Meet Some of Bankrate.com's Employees
Client Service Representative
As a client service representative, it’s Andy’s job to make sure Bankrate’s advertising clients stay happy as he troubleshoots their campaigns and works with the customer retention program.
Back to top