Economics/Banking Reporter and Analyst
Position at BankRate.com
Bankrate.com is seeking an experienced reporter who can cover the topics of economics and banking and make them engaging and interesting to broad digital audiences across multiple platforms — all while breaking exclusive news from the beat. The position will be based Palm Beach Gardens, Florida.
The reporter must have experience writing for consumers and must clearly understand and closely follow the banking industry, consumer banking products and the regulations that impact the industry. The reporter must have at least 2 years of experience at a professional media outlet.
The banking beat encompasses topics such as checking and savings accounts, debit cards, CDs and money market accounts. You need to love those topics. The ideal candidate will have excellent reporting and writing skills, and experience writing for digital and social audiences. He or she will be active in social media and have knowledge of SEO in relation to content.
We expect the reporter to develop story ideas and write content and blogs, respond quickly to events in the marketplace, understand how that news affects consumers, have an established group of sources, be familiar with personal finance issues and to represent Bankrate as a banking analyst to other media. The reporter also will be a presence in Bankrate-produced video.
We are seeking a reporter who is or will evolve as an expert, and has a passion for great, innovative storytelling across any platform.
- Actively follow the banking industry and economic issues and cultivate relationships and sources.
- Respond quickly to breaking news and thrive under pressure.
- Evaluate website metrics to make content decisions.
- Pitch trending story topics and continually look for ways to push breaking and/or viral stories forward with new angles.
- Write stories, blogs and related content.
- Demonstrate versatility to turn around story ideas very quickly and explore complex topics in long-form enterprising work.
- Must be comfortable adapting to changes in evolving industry.
- Demonstrate knowledge of SEO best practices and AP style.
- Represent Bankrate as a spokesperson to other media.
- Digital media/online reporting experience.
- Knowledgeable of banking industry.
- Thorough understanding of personal finance.
- 2 years’ experience as a reporter/writer.
- Strong knowledge of AP style.
- Experience with basic HTML and web-based CMS.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
To apply, please include resume, cover letter, relevant links and 3-5 examples of work that demonstrates you can take interesting, unique or fun angles to content. The applications should be digital in their orientation and delivery.
Back to top