Director, Software Engineering
Position at Bankrate.com
A manager in an agile environment with strong technical skills. Collaborative leader who will understand our people, business, technology, and customers' needs. Leader who helps drive our culture of empowerment, ownership, and accountability to help develop our team technically and professionally. Identify and successfully implement improvements in our engineering processes, tools, and architecture to enable us to deliver on our key initiatives.
Located in downtown Detroit, Bankrate has a fresh, fun, and creative environment you won't find anywhere else. If you have a strong will to learn and are motivated by opportunity to help grow our team, then we'd love to hear from you!
- Managing a team of software engineers
- Driving our culture of empowerment, ownership, and accountability
- Collaborate with scrum masters, product owners, and leadership to build a world-class product for our partners, advertisers, and users
- Positioning the engineering team for success through training, mentorship, and leadership
- Focus on code quality by facilitating test-driven development
- Promote engineering team growth and development technically and professionally
- Driving the hiring process by owning the recruiting process as well as developing the employee on-boarding process
- Working closely with the engineers to improve process and code quality
- Managing employee PPL, attendance, and other personnel matters
- Learning our different systems and environments
- Identify and track down bugs/errors in our systems
- Understand our agile process and track each team progress and challenges by reading their burn down charts
Must-Have Expert Experience With:
- Managing an engineering team within an agile environment
- OOP principles and practices as well as design patterns
- Familiarity with service-oriented architecture and microservices
- Exposure to web technologies
Preferred Experience With:
- Cloud-hosted systems and infrastructure
- Backend development practices
- Developing services and APIs
- Experience using project management tools for planning, tracking, and releasing products
Preferred Professional Traits:
- Exhibits excellent judgment
- Has relentlessly high standards
- Able to dive deep and exhibit superb problem solving skills
- Expects and requires innovation of his/her team
- Possesses the ability to inspire passion in others
- Enjoys working with people
- Thinks big
Technical Experience: 5 or more years of software development and 3 or more years of management experience.
Education: BS/MS degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a related subject is a plus.
Meet Some of Bankrate.com's Employees
Client Service Representative
As a client service representative, it’s Andy’s job to make sure Bankrate’s advertising clients stay happy as he troubleshoots their campaigns and works with the customer retention program.
Back to top