Database Administrator Manager
Position at BankRate.com
Sharp Database Administrator (DBA) Manager with solid Microsoft SQL Server experience and strong technical skills, with the experience to make a visible impact and lead others. An inspiring leader, this person will embrace our core values of empowerment, ownership, accountability and transparency.
This position is a mix of a collaborative leader and a DBA who understands our people, the business, the technologies we employ, and customer requests. The right individual will exhibit a high sense of ownership of the problems and requests assigned and focus on managing and resolving issues in alignment with the SLAs. They will also be able to establish and maintain communication with technology customers to keep them updated with the status of their requests, initiating and performing changes on production systems and proactively escalating any issues that cannot be resolved within the established timeframes. This person should be able to identify and successfully implement improvements in our engineering processes, tools and architecture to enable us to deliver on our key initiatives. Very dependable, trustworthy and strong ability to manage others.
Located in Palm Beach Gardens, Bankrate has a fresh, fun, and creative environment you won’t find anywhere else. If you have a strong will to learn and educate and are motivated by opportunity to help grow our team, then we’d love to hear from you.
- Coaches, and motivates the database administration team and shares new database features or technologies.
- Driving our culture of empowerment, ownership, and accountability.
- Experience in troubleshooting and resolving database integrity issues, performance issues, blocking and deadlocking issues, replication issues, log shipping issues, connectivity issues, security issues etc.
- Experience in Performance Tuning, Query Optimization, using Performance Monitor, SQL Profiler and other related monitoring and troubleshooting tools.
- Ability to detect and troubleshoot SQL Server related CPU, memory, I/O, disk space and other resource contention.
- Strong knowledge of backups, restores, recovery models, database shrink operations, DBCC commands, Clustering, Database mirroring, Replication.
- Expert experience in implementing operational automation.
- Strong knowledge of how indexes, index management, integrity checks, configuration, patching. How statistics work, how indexes are stored, how they can be created and managed effectively.
- Database version migration, patching and security management.
- Monitor database server capacity/performance and make infrastructure and architecture recommendations to management for necessary changes/updates.
- Manage all aspects of database operations including implementation of database monitoring tools, event monitoring, diagnostic analysis, performance optimization routines and top-tier support for resolving support issues.
- Design and implement disaster recovery procedures according to standards or implement and maintain Replication Services.
- Provide production support to troubleshoot day-to-day database or related application issues, including light on-call rotation schedule
- Perform database audits and ensure SOX compliance.
- Ability to learn our different systems and environments.
- Identify and track down bugs/errors in our systems.
- Understand our agile process and track each team progress and challenges by reading their burn down charts.
Skills and Hands-On Experience:
- Strong experience in Database Administration in SQL Server.
- Experience in troubleshooting and resolving database problems.
- Experience in Performance Tuning and Optimization (PTO), using native monitoring and troubleshooting tools.
- Experience with backups, restores and recovery models.
- Knowledge of High Availability (HA) and Disaster Recovery (DR) options for MSSQL Server.
- Experience in implementing operational automation using scripts.
- Knowledge of indexes, index management, and statistics.
- Experience working with Windows server, including Active Directory and proper disk configurations.
- Good communication and documentation skills.
- Maintaining high-availability systems (7×24×365) in production environment.
- Experience with disaster recovery, replication and clustering solutions.
- Expert understanding of Database best practices and internal
- Ability to adapt to changing requirements and technologies.
- Ability to work both independently as well as within a SCRUM team
Preferred Professional Traits:
- Exhibits excellent judgment.
- Has relentlessly high standards.
- Is able to dive deep and is never out of touch with the details of the business or the technology.
- Has passion and convictions and the innate ability to inspire passion in others.
- Enjoys working with people.
- Results orientated.
- Thinks big.
- 10 years of experience performing database administration functions and supporting databases in a production environment.
- A Master’s Degree in computer science, or equivalent discipline.
- Demonstrated ability to manage a team of at least 5 direct reports
Back to top