Banking/FinTech Writer and Analyst
Position at Bankrate.com
Bankrate.com is seeking an experienced reporter who can cover the topics of banking and consumer use of fintech and make them engaging and interesting to broad digital audiences across multiple platforms — all while breaking exclusive news from the beat. The position can be based Palm Beach Gardens, FL, Washington, DC or New York City.
Ideal candidates will have experience producing content across multiple platforms for consumers and developing relevant sources. The reporter must have at least two years’ of experience at a professional media outlet. The reporter will develop and write engaging articles, quizzes and interactive features, in addition to being involved in Bankrate’s video and social media content. The reporter will respond quickly to news events, explaining to consumers how it affects them. Social media experience is essential, as is familiarity with writing for search optimization.
The banking beat encompasses topics such as checking and savings accounts, fintech, mobile wallets, debit cards, CDs and money market accounts. You need to love those topics. The ideal candidate will have excellent reporting and writing skills, and experience writing for digital and social audiences.
The ideal candidate thinks beyond the news, detecting trends and predicting unintended consequences and benefits. Bankrate coverage of fintech and social media for finance is not about the venture capitalists or the company valuations – but about the consumer use of the products and the tools in the new age of banking and personal finance.
We are seeking a reporter who is or can become an expert on personal finance, and has a passion for great, innovative storytelling across any platform.
- Actively follow the banking and fintech industry and cultivate relationships and sources.
- Respond quickly to breaking news and thrive under pressure.
- Evaluate website metrics to make content decisions.
- Pitch trending story topics and continually look for ways to push breaking and/or viral stories forward with new angles.
- Write stories, blogs and related content.
- Demonstrate versatility to turn around story ideas very quickly and explore complex topics in long-form enterprising work.
- Must be comfortable adapting to changes in evolving industry.
- Demonstrate knowledge of SEO best practices and AP style.
- Represent Bankrate as a spokesperson to other media.
- Digital media/online reporting experience.
- Knowledgeable of banking industry.
- Thorough understanding of personal finance.
- 2 years’ experience as a reporter/writer.
- Strong knowledge of AP style.
- Experience with basic HTML and web-based CMS.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
To apply, please include resume, cover letter, relevant links and 3-5 examples of work that demonstrates you can take interesting, unique or fun angles to content. The applications should be digital in their orientation and delivery.
Meet Some of Bankrate.com's Employees
Client Service Representative
As a client service representative, it’s Andy’s job to make sure Bankrate’s advertising clients stay happy as he troubleshoots their campaigns and works with the customer retention program.
Back to top