- Silverdale, WA
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS
The ratio of time spent on leadership duties and practicing veterinarian responsibilities will vary depending on the hospital situation; the Chief of Staff must use good judgment in prioritizing their duties on any given day, ensuring hospital productivity. On average, the ratio is expected to be about 20%-30% leadership duties and 70%-80% veterinarian duties.
Leadership Responsibilities (approximately 20-30% of time):
- Live and exemplify the Five Principles of Mars, Inc. within self and team.
- Partner with the Practice Manager (if applicable) to manage the hospital as role models and champions of the Banfield brand to provide consistent high quality care and exceptional service to the most pets and clients and to maximize efficiency, productivity and profitability. Train the team on Banfield guidelines and practices and supervise associates to ensure compliance.
- Oversee and train associates on professional, efficient and exceptional client service (lead by example), to include client education about Optimum Wellness Plans, preventive care, pet health needs, hospital services, marketing campaigns, and other related information; effectively resolve client issues.
- Follow all Banfield protocols and practices and be responsible for ensuring that associates achieve practice priorities while building our culture and brand.
- Identify potential "bottlenecks" and formulate solutions to remove barriers in medical operations that would impede the doctors from providing world class care.
- Partner with the Medical Director, Field Director, and Practice Manager (if applicable) to interview, select, train, develop, coach, mentor and, if necessary, discipline and terminate hospital associates.
- Direct, lead and mentor Associate Veterinarians to realize their full professional potential and deliver outstanding, high quality medical care, client service and business results.
- Work with the Medical Director to establish development plans (PDPs) for the Associate Veterinarians, and focus teams to deliver the practice priorities and exceed goals while building our culture and brand.
- Effectively create and maintain veterinarians' schedules and work with Practice Manager to schedule associates to meet client needs according to Banfield guidelines, while proactively planning time off and CE scheduling.
- Provide effective communication between associates, clients, field leadership and Central Team Support.
- Act as communications liaison, including holding routine hospital team meetings, sharing business information and messaging to all hospital associates, ensuring they remain informed, engaged and have opportunities to provide feedback.
- Provide inspirational leadership to the team by creating a positive professional relationship with the Practice Manager, PetSmart associates, adoption center agencies, clients, field leadership and Central Team Support.
- Create a collaborative environment and develop an efficient, productive hospital team that provides the highest quality care and service to the most pets and clients.
- Develop annual planning, budgeting and hospital productivity levels for the hospital in partnership with the Practice Manager (if applicable), Field Director and Medical Director.
- Partner with area Field Director and Medical Director to execute market objectives, goals, strategies and measurements (OGSMs).
- Participate in market level teams, discussions, and initiatives.
- Partner with the Practice Manager to deliver outstanding financial results for assigned hospital.
- Responsible for the development of technical, medical skills for veterinary assistants/technicians.
- Responsible for ensuring all associates adhere to Banfield dress and grooming guidelines.
- Provide leadership to other area hospitals as needed throughout the market.
- Ensure compliance with all practice policies and procedures and with all local, state and federal laws. Other job duties as assigned.
- Establish trust and gain the confidence and compliance of clients through effectively delivering appropriate preventive care, performing complete diagnostic workups, developing thorough treatment plans, communicating home care instructions, and planning follow-up visits.
- Assimilate information gathered through effective history taking, physical examination and diagnostic workup to arrive at an appropriate and effective clinical decision.
- Practice evidence-based medicine and preventive care when data or guidelines exist, using sound judgment when they do not.
- Practice veterinary medicine in a manner compliant with the State Veterinary Practice Act, Federal and/or State Controlled Substance laws and Banfield Code of Ethics, along with appropriate medical record documentation; ensure the hospital team maintains complete medical records that meet practice quality control guidelines.
- Lead the veterinary hospital team through the daily schedule and caseload, delegating tasks to paraprofessionals and improving hospital efficiency.
- Provide professional, efficient and exceptional service, including prescribing and administering preventive care for the wellness needs of pets as well as diagnosing and treating diseases and injuries of pets.
- Advocate for preventive care and adoption of wellness plans.
- Effectively communicate diagnosis and treatment plan to veterinary medical team and client.
- Prescribe and administer drugs and vaccines as appropriate.
- Perform surgery on pets as necessary for the treatment of pets within Banfield's protocols, using standard medical instruments and equipment.
- Promote the safety of pets, clients and associates by ensuring the hospital team is utilizing safe restraining techniques, following standard practice guidelines, and maintaining clean, sterile and organized treatment areas, exam rooms and laboratory areas.
- Strive to achieve performance metrics outlined by medical and field leadership.
- Demonstrate integrity and ethics in all actions and behaviors.
- Address and resolve client concerns arising from the medical care of a pet.
- Develop strong lasting relationships with clients.
- Other job duties as assigned.
- Quality - The consumer is our boss, quality is our work and value for money is our goal.
- Responsibility - As individuals, we demand total responsibility from ourselves; as associates, we support the responsibility of others.
- Mutuality - A mutual benefit is a shared benefit; a shared benefit will endure.
- Efficiency - We use resources to the full, waste nothing and do only what we can do best.
- Freedom - We need freedom to shape our future; we need profit to remain free.
HIRING QUALIFICATIONS / COMPETENCIES
- Conflict Management
- Customer Focus
- Developing Direct Reports
- Directing Others
- Building Effective Teams
- • Hiring and Staffing
- • Communication Skills
- • Managing and Measuring work
- • Peer Relationships
- • Drive for Results
CAPABILITIES AND EXPERIENCE (CAN DO)
- Ability to multi-task - Manages multiple tasks at one time; quickly and accurately shifts attention among multiple tasks under distracting conditions without loss of accuracy or appearance of frustration.
- Organizational ability - Demonstrates a systematic approach in carrying out assignments. Is very orderly and excels at cutting through confusion and turning chaos into order.
- Surgical skills - Proven ability to perform all basic surgeries, including use of all standard medical instruments and equipment.
- Problem solving skills - Demonstrates a strong ability to identify, analyze and solve problems. Translates problems into practical solutions.
- Intellectual ability - Accurately and consistently follows instructions delivered in an oral, written or diagram format. Can provide directions. Commitment to continual learning.
- Mathematical ability - Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide, and to compute rate, ratio and percent; ability to convert units of measurement.
- Computer skills - Comfortably and confidently uses a computer and specialized software.
- Initiative - Shows willingness and aptitude to use own discretion in taking appropriate steps in finding solutions to problems; presents options and ideas to enhance current processes or procedures. Takes on additional responsibility when both big and small tasks need to be done; seeks out the most valuable work to do during times when the hospital faces low client demand.
- Integrity - Firmly adheres to the values and ethics of Banfield Pet Hospitals. Exhibits honesty, discretion, and sound judgment.
- Cooperativeness - Willing to work with others, collaborating and compromising where necessary; promptly shares relevant information with others.
- Flexibility - Is open to changing situations and opportunities and is willing to perform all tasks assigned.
- Independence - Able and willing to perform tasks and duties without supervision.
- Tolerance for Stress / Resiliency - Maintains a positive "can do" outlook, rebounds quickly from frustrations and unpleasantness, and maintains composure and friendly demeanor while dealing with stressful situations.
SPECIAL WORKING CONDITIONS
- Ability to be confident around pets (i.e., dogs, cats, birds, reptiles, etc.)
- Client needs and work volume may often require more than 40 hours per week to complete essential duties of this job. This position requires special hours including working weekends and evenings.
- The noise level in the work environment is moderately high.
- Ability to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form and to solve problems involving several variables.
- Requires sufficient ambulatory skills in order to perform duties while at hospital.
- Ability to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, and climb as well as manipulate (lift, carry, move) up to 50 pounds.
- Requires good hand-eye coordination, finger-hand-arm dexterity with the ability to reach and grasp, and visual acuity to use a keyboard and operate medical equipment.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Associate is routinely exposed to a variety of pets that may bite or scratch, and on occasion, exposed to anesthesia, radiation, biological hazards and medication/controlled substances.
- Some travel required, to assist other area hospitals as well as for vendor visits and associate education.
- Banfield policies and protocols are not intended to supersede the associate's legal responsibilities and medical judgment. In the event of a conflict, applicable laws and regulations will control.
EXPERIENCE, EDUCATION AND/OR TRAINING
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM/VMD) or equivalent degree required.
- Veterinary license in good standing or eligibility for licensure with the applicable state veterinary board.
- Two years clinical experience required.
- 1-3 years coaching and developing associate doctors required.
- Meets all required clinical competencies.
Banfield Pet Hospital® strongly supports and values the uniqueness of all individuals and promotes a work environment where diversity is embraced. Banfield Pet Hospital is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetic information, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability. Banfield Pet Hospital complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every Banfield location.
Share this job
You and your family are covered - with the support and resources for your mental and physical health.
Setting Banfield apart
Learn from Ronica what key things set Banfield apart from other hospitals.
- Veterinary Technician - 005226 United States, Chesterfield
- Shift Lead - 000195 United States, Round Rock
- Veterinary Assistant - 005173 United States, Round Rock
No saved jobs
We're more than just a hospital. We're an entire network of locations, serving pet lovers around the country - and guided by dedicated teams inside our headquarters.
Explore our Locations
Back to navigation (Map)
- About us
- Banfield hospital locator
- Labor conditions applications
- Banfield in The Muse
- Associate referrals
- Talent acquisition events official rules
Stay connected and get the latest career opportunities.
Banfield Talent Network
Join our Talent Network! In 30 seconds you can let us know that you're interested learning more about Banfield Pet Hospital!
Stay in touch
Privacy | Cookie notice | Terms | Ad choices | Accessibility | Contact us | Site map | Labor conditions applications
Copyright © 2021 Banfield Pet Hospital | Banfield Pet Hospital, an Affiliate of Mars, Incorporated
Back to top