Sr. Specialist External Communications
- Ensure the success of the practice by promoting and protecting the brand through creative public relations campaigns and thought leadership initiatives.
- Protect the brand by managing issues and crisis communications.
- Increase brand recognition through external PR and communication channels.
- Live and exemplify the Five Principles of Mars, Inc. within self and team.
- Assist in managing crisis communications and the Issues & Crisis Management Team, a cross functional team comprised of subject resource associates from Operations, Veterinary, P&O, Legal and Asset Protection; assist with managing brand risks for the practice including partnering with the digital team to manage escalated issues and track reputation risks online from social media issues/associate issues/media issues.
- In partnership with the Senior Manager of External Communication, develop and execute long-term strategies for external communications, public relations campaigns and thought leadership initiatives for Banfield Pet Hospital; be a thought partner in both creating strategies as well as executing them.
- Manage negative media stories and positive media opportunities by talking to reporters, pulling partners together from the client experience team, understanding deadlines from media representatives before stories run, notifying legal, creating communications, informing senior leaders and helping field leaders and doctors understand talking points; manage the 24-hour Media Hotline.
- Design external PR and communications presentations; develop and coach spokes doctors regarding all media interviews and campaigns.
- Partner with the CSR and Digital Marketing teams to create and manage engaging content for use in internal and external storytelling such as Banfield's and Mars intranet, internal communication vehicles, owned web sites and social media channels.
- Help raise awareness and drive media coverage for the good work of Banfield's charitable arm, the Banfield Foundation.
- Other job duties as assigned.
- Education & Professional Qualification
- Required Type of Degree: Bachelor's
- Field of Study: Public Relations, Communications, Journalism or Marketing
- Years of Experience Required: 6
- In what area: Public Relations, Communications, Journalism
- Required Solid understanding public and media relations required as well as solid written communications skills.
- Preferred Experience in crisis communications with an agency or in-house.
- Preferred Prior communications agency experience.
- Preferred Health care background (veterinary or human healthcare, pharmaceutical, etc.).
Special Working Conditions
- Ability to work at a computer for long periods of time.
- Project timelines and work volume / deadlines may often require more than 40 hours per week to complete essential duties of this job.
- Must have mental processes for reasoning, remembering, mathematics and language ability (reading, writing, and speaking the English language) to perform the duties proficiently.
- Ability to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form and to solve problems involving several variables.
- Ability to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, and climb as well as manipulate (lift, carry, move) up to 50 pounds.
- Requires good hand-eye coordination, arm-hand-finger dexterity with the ability to grasp, and visual acuity to use a keyboard and operate necessary equipment.
- The noise level in the work environment is normally moderate.
- Environment where pets are present.
WE ARE A DRUG-FREE, SMOKE-FREE, EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.
Company Policy, Federal and State Laws Forbid Discrimination Because of Age, Color,
Race, Religion, Sex, Disability, Sexual Orientation or National Origin.
Meet Some of Banfield Pet Hospital's Employees
Wellness Plan Relations Coordinator
Naturally empathetic, Blanche uses her customer service and telephone skills to assist Banfield clients, educating them about wellness plan benefits, and helping them make the best choices for their pets.
Back to top