Sr. Database Administrator - SQL
The primary purpose and function of the Senior Database Administrator – SQL is to provide expertise in designing and maintaining database solutions on SQL Server, 3rd level of on call support for production databases.
Essential Responsibilities and Tasks:
- Live and exemplify the Five Principles of Mars, Inc. within self and team.
- Responsible for database design, implementation, security and privileges. Implement proper security practices in cooperation with CTS security team. Work with the network team to ensure adequate access to SQL Server databases across the enterprise.
- Proactively monitor and maintain SQL Server production and test databases. Use best practices for performance tuning.
- Lead database design for new project, design modifications and enhancements to existing databases, in alignment with enterprise application architecture.
- Provide time and resource estimates for design, development, and deployment of database components.
- Design, code, test, and implement data conversions from existing and legacy data structures to new database schemas.
- Meet all design, development, and deployment deadlines.
- Monitor performance and disk space requirements, taking corrective action as needed.
- Review program statistics for efficiency and tuning; determine problem areas and design solutions.
- Mentor developers on database development best practices and assist application programmers with database designs and query optimization.
- Audit, manage, and deploy database scripts.
- Responsible for database administration, performance, backup and recovery strategies,
- Manage the installation/upgrade of software and patches for SQL Server RDBMS.
- Design, develop, test and install new or changed scripts to perform database administration tasks.
- Available for on-call duties.
- Responsible for cloning the production environment to test instances.
- Database applications troubleshooting and tuning throughout entire software development lifecycle.
- Perform and strategize upgrades and patches according to client needs.
- Define and document daily support processes.
- Other job duties as assigned.
Special Working Conditions:
- Ability to work at a computer for long periods of time.
- Project timelines and work volume / deadlines may often require more than 40 hours per week to complete essential duties of this job.
- Must have mental processes for reasoning, remembering, mathematics and language ability (reading, writing, and speaking the English language) to perform the duties proficiently.
- Ability to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form and to solve problems involving several variables.
- Ability to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, and climb as well as manipulate (lift, carry, move) up to 50 pounds.
- Requires good hand-eye coordination, arm-hand-finger dexterity with the ability to grasp, and visual acuity to use a keyboard and operate necessary equipment.
- The noise level in the work environment is normally moderate.
- Environment where pets are present.
Experience, Education and/or Training:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or comparable field of study required, or the equivalent combination of education, training and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Minimum two years database analyst experience and five years of SQL Server RDBMS, including recent experience with SQL Server 2008-2016 required.
- Four years’ experience with different aspects of database tuning and thorough understanding of backup and recovery processes, along with data modeling experience for relational database, and understanding of object paradigm preferred.
- Prefer health care background (veterinary or human healthcare, pharmaceutical, etc.).
Banfield Pet Hospital® is committed to a diverse work environment in which all individuals are treated with respect and dignity. It is our mission to provide equal employment opportunities to all candidates and to ensure that access to jobs is strictly based on job-related criteria.
WE ARE A DRUG-FREE, SMOKE-FREE, EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.
Company Policy, Federal and State Laws Forbid Discrimination Because of Age, Color, Race, Religion, Sex, Disability, Sexual Orientation or National Origin.
Meet Some of Banfield Pet Hospital's Employees
Sr. Talent Acquisition Partner
Andrew marshals all his wit and resources to find new ways to attract and retain, the best veterinary talent for Banfield, strategizing with executives, conducting interviews, and influencing hiring decisions.
Back to top